Urch Forums

Taking Math Classes after Undergrad?

Hi there! 

Recently I've been seriously considering pursuing a Phd in Econ or in another business school discipline. Unfortunately, I didn't take this idea seriously enough in undergrad and graduated without taking more serious math classes (Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, etc.) I only have two semesters of calculus and some statistics/econometrics classes. From what I understand, these are classes I'd need to take (and do well in) to be a competitive PhD applicant. My question is, how do I go about taking these classes almost ~2 years after undergrad? Online, a masters degree, at a nearby university somehow, or at a community college? Or is it maybe too late and I should think about a less math heavy graduate program?

If it makes any difference, I studied econ at a top 20 undergrad and currently work in a related field (econ consulting). 

Thanks for the advice!

The more elite/prestigious the school, the better its signal of courses. Community college does not help much then. I think you may check Harvard online or UIUC online courses and both of them have really good real analysis/ diff eq/ linear algebra / intro probability theory. I know a person who got into a top 20 program with only online math courses. 

Take them wherever you can; online, community college, nearby university, etc. Doesn't really matter. Choose based on the quality of the course. i.e. if you can't concentrate in an online class, take an in-person one. 

Many, many applicants are in the same position as you are. It's very common to take math classes after you graduate college.