Urch Forums

Hey guys: 

What are my possibilities to get into PhD in economics in Europe? Like Zurich, Bocconi, SSE or EUI? I am not considering US

My grades are pretty low:

Masters in economics (8.2/10) at Carlos III
Bachelor in economics (7.3/10) at Carlos III

But I have a lot of research experience:
Research intern at Bank of Italy
Research assistant at UPF (Pompeu Fabra)
Research intern at a famous German institute
Research Fellow at Barcelona school of economics
Soon I will join DG Research at ECB

Really good recommendation letters

Do I have any chance? I did not take GRE yet.

Edited by annsteele

So out of the 4 Universities you mentioned Zurich is definitely the most selective one. I think getting accepted there would be very hard given your profile. However I would still apply because there is a lot of uncertainty in the process.

For the other Universities you mentioned I think you should have a decent chance to get accepted, especially given the fact that you have a lot of research experience.

I would recommend that you also add some other Universities to your list so that in the end you have maybe 8 Universities.

Edited by SwissEconomist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, annsteele said:

many thanks! which other universities would you recommend me apply for?? (not UPF nor Carlos III)

I would probably focus on continental Europe because many british Universities often have a certain minimum GPA which often is 8.5 and therefore to high for you (however check the webpages to be sure). Given your profile I would particulary recommend applying at Mannheim and PSE, they are both pretty good and you should have a decent chance. TSE and Bonn are much stronger (same level as Zurich) but I think your chances there are not so good (but maybe try it nevertheless). As safety schools you could consider Munich, NHH or St. Gallen (they are all decent and have good funding). 

1 hour ago, annsteele said:

or maybe a pre-doc for 1 year would increase my chancesS?

In my experience pre-docs are especially useful when you are applying to the US or if you don't have enough research experience. Both is not the case in your scenario so I would rather focus on your PhD Applications.