Urch Forums

Masters' degree in France or Germany as a stepping stone to transfer into the Top 10 US Ph.D. economics.

Choi

Hi, I am planning to pursue a Ph.D. in economics among the top US 10 universities, but my profile needs improvement. France and Germany have low tuition fees, so I choose them. In fact, I had LOA for one and a half a year because the tuition fee became unaffordable. So, I gave up going to graduate school, and lost my passion for studying. But, after being conferred my BA degree, I have encouraged myself to try it. Please help me out. Please help me out. By the way, if there are really excellent options, I am ready to take a loan for tuition fees. 

My profile 
BA: economics from UC Berkeley.
GPA: 3.458
Math classes : multi-calculus(B+), linear algebra(B+)
stats : probability(B), econometrics(A-)
no research experience
one time of internship in a start-up
no GRE test score yet

I am taking some online programming courses, including AI, computational thinking, Python, etc. I hope to improve my quantitative skills so that they may contribute to my future research. Thank you for reading.

Edited by Choi

A European Master Degree is definitely a good way to increase your chances for a top 10 PhD Program. In France the best Master Program would be the one by TSE but PSE also offer some decent master programs. In Germany the best choice would be Bonn (especially strong in Micro Theory) but Mannheim and LMU are also quite good. You might also want to consider to apply for UK Universities and hope that you get a scholarship (LSE is obviously the best choice there). 

There are also some other good Master Programs in Europe you might want to consider depending on your preferences:

Italy

Bocconi (unfortunately expensive but they have excellent placement, their Master is better than their PhD)

Switzerland 

Zurich (particulary strong in behavioral and experimental econ, their PhD is better than their Master)

Graduate Institute Geneva (good Option when you want to work for an international organisation in the long run)

Netherlands

Tinbergen (many scholarships available)