Urch Forums

applied mathematics master's

rottentodmato

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone knew some master's courses that could reinforce one's profile before applying to master's in economics. (i am asking that question because i did a bachelor in social sciences. although most of my courses in senior year were economics, 3/4 of all modules taken ; taking all my studies in aggregate, I took a little more than 50% of econ modules in total - so because my bachelor isn't completely econ, i need such reinforcements).

I am thinking of masters' in applied mathematics that could bulk up your application for econ master's apps, for example.

I've seen quite a few masters' in applied mathematics - in Europe at least. one at LSE (applicable mathematics), one in paris (mathematical models in economics and finance, mmef). Other maths masters' exist obviously, within pure mathematics departments, but they require you to have completed a bachelor's in pure mathematics though.

Thanks in advance!

LSE's applicable maths MSc is designed for mathematicians/highly mathematical graduates who want to learn to apply their maths background to social sciences. It's not designed for social scientists who want to learn more maths, and without a strong background in maths, I imagine it would be very challenging. I'm not sure about other maths master's programmes, but I would have thought they're similar.

If you want a stronger maths background, you could take online classes at NetMath at UIUC or at a local university. I think a full maths master's would be both very challenging and overkill.

You could also consider applying straight to econ master's. Without knowing more about your profile, it's hard to say where you'd likely be competitive, but I get the impression that below the top programmes, many aren't that hard to get into. Whether it's better to go straight to an econ master's or to take maths classes and then have a shot at getting into a stronger master's programme will depend on your longer term goals (e.g. programme ranking is more important if you're aiming for a PhD/academia).

Also, you might be overestimating the significance of having a social sciences bachelor's vs economics bachelor's. Admissions committees don't usually care so much about what your major is but care more about which classes you've taken. So your econ background might be fine. This cuts both ways though: they also expect relatively high mathematical preparation (very high for PhDs but I think more lenient and more variable for master's). So if you haven't taken many maths classes and your econ classes weren't sufficiently rigorous, this could be held against you, in which case taking maths classes (e.g. through NetMath) could improve your application quite a lot.