Urch Forums

Profile evaluation

Hi, thank you all for reading this and I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. I'm kind of stressed about admissions for the next academic year, I just want to adjust my expectations accordingly. I would like to know what schools should I apply to and also my chances for each of them. 

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:  US undergrad (ranked 10-20)

Undergrad GPA: 3.96

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 161V/170Q

Math Courses: PhD: Theory of Statistics (A) , Measure Theory and Functional Analysis (A);  Undergrad (all senior-level): Topology I + II (A/A-), Real analysis I+II (A+/A+). Probability (A+), Mathematical Statistics (A+), Time Series Analysis (A+), Topics in Financial Mathematics (A+)

Econ Courses:  PhDMicroeconomics I (A), Microeconomics II (A), Macroeconomics I (A), Topics in Microeconomic Theory (A); Undergrad (all senior-level): 4 advanced undergrad econ classes including metrics and finance classes (all A)

Other Courses: 6 (junior-senior level) courses for a CS minor (all A)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 from full professors, all well-respected within the theory circle. I have done research for two of them, and the other one specifically selected me to receive a department-awarded grant. 

Research Experience: This is where I'm most concerned about, I have only one summer's worth of research and one soon-to-be completed senior thesis (though I hope my research interests somewhat mitigate this since I'm primarily interested in theory). 

Teaching Experience: TA for a few math and econ classes. 

Research Interests: Microeconomic theory, finance. and applied micro fields (IR or Labor)  

Your profile looks very good and you should have a fair chance at top PhD Programs. If you want to increase your chances for a top 10 US program you should do a predoc (to do one has become more and more important over the last years for US programs). However if your LoR are very strong (which is sometimes hard to evaluate as you normally don't know the content) you could also be admited at a top program without doing a Predoc.

1. You should talk to your economics letter writers to see what they think about your chances. They should also have the best sense of whether or not your lack of research is going to be an issue, especially since they're theorists themselves.

2. It seems like you should apply straight to grad school, though. If you want to do micro theory, then a predoc isn't too useful. There are very few (if any) predocs in micro theory, and the skills you develop are unlikely to be helpful for micro theory research (e.g. empirical applied micro, data cleaning). Further, your math skills will likely decrease since you're not using those skills very much on the job. In my cohort of my PhD program (T5), none of the micro theorists did a predoc, and the ones from the states all got in straight from undergrad. FYI, I'm currently a PhD student, so this should be reflective of the current application process.