Urch Forums

Positive discrimination in Phd Econ?

Useless

Hi. I've heard that there are kinda quotas in bachelor, master admissions for underrepresented groups in US schools, for example, competition for Indian and Polish guy is not same, adcom would compare Indian guy with "neighbors", i.e with Chinese one, so that this Indian guy would face more harsh competition than that Polish guy for the same place. I guess it is true. But I am wondering is that true for Phd Econ in US? Is there any positive discrimination/quotas  for underrepresented countries? Or is PhD admission merely merit-based?

I know two guys with almost the same bachelor degrees (neighboring countries with the same unranked 3rd world schools) and graduated in different years from the same schools with MA Econ degree. One of them was ranked top student in his cohort and managed being placed to top-40 US Phd Econ, whereas another guy with a bit above median GPA was placed to top-15 US Phd Econ.

So, apparently, there is positive discrimination but  it is flaky and chaotic whereas in US undergrad and master admission it is something regular. Or not?

Edited by Useless