Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation MA, MPhil and PhD

plottedfour3250

Hoping to pursue a masters as a move towards admission to the best PhD program I can get into, preferable T50 at the lowest.

Undergrad: Unranked Public US School, but sits as an R2. Currently taking math classes at a T10 institution.

Major: Economics

GPA: 3.9

Econ Courses: Micro/Int Micro: (A/B+)  Macro/Int Macro (A/A) Econometric I&II (A/A-) and then about 15 credit hours in 400 level electives all As

Math Courses: Calc I (A) Calc II (B) Linear Algebra (B) Calc III (A) Business Stats I&II (A-/A)  

Recommendations: Strong recommendation from my dept. chair and another professor whom I did many electives with.

Exp: Unfortunately, I really never planned in undergrad to do Economics long-term. After some time pursuing policy work after graduation, I realized my heart wasn't in it and I really missed more analytical work. So I have no true research experience outside of my undergraduate thesis (which was completed during the pandemic). I was struggling to find RA positions when I decided to make the switch, as I didn't have strong math/coding backgrounds at the time, so I ended up becoming a data analyst and re-enrolling in school in the meantime.

Programs I am hoping to apply to: 

Top/reach: Oxford, Duke, UT at Austin, UBC, LSE,  UToronto, NYU, PSE

Others on my list: Boston U, U of Wisconsin, U of Oregon, Ludwig Maximillian, Barcelona, Mannheim, Sciences Po

I'm happy to take any advice for what other courses I could take come spring to boost my opportunities/any advice for other programs I should look into. 

(Hope this belongs here. Saw a post recommending to post masters profile evals in the PhD forum.)

***Beyond no RA experience, my other concern is my Calc II and Linear Algebra grades. I started attending school after a few years off and my job takes up a lot of time. It was pretty hard for me to keep up with memorizing Calc while working and my summer Linear Algebra course final tanked my A to a B. I found the material to be easy and more-so really struggled with time management at the end of it all. This felt especially true because of how easily I aced Calc III. Not sure if retaking is worth it, I am planning to continue taking higher courses in my master's that I think would help offset this.

Edited by plottedfour3250
Left out note for program described in the post