Urch Forums

Am I competitive for the following schools with my profile?

Holan95

I am an aspiring academic with a dream of becoming an economics professor at a liberal arts college. My research interests are mainly political economy focused, although international development and growth theory are very interesting as well. I am also interested in learning more heterodox theories (especially post-Keynesian), as I found my neoclassical training a bit incomplete. I am looking at applying to UMass Amherst, the New School of Social Research and American this year, and some others next year (after I re-take my GRE). Below is my profile, and I would appreciate any recommendations on how to improve.

Undergrad: Top 40 liberal arts college in CA

Undergrad GPA in Econ: 3.55 (mix of A-'s and B+'s in coursework, but took every class this one professor who I like  (he will write a LOR) a lot offered and got A-'s)

Undergrad Math: Calc I: B-, Calc II: C+, Calc III: C+ (I know this is a disaster, and I retook or am retaking math classes at UC Extensions currently (see below))

Grad School: JHU SAIS MIEF Program

Grad GPA: 3.4 (I know this is low, but it was a one year program and I got a C in an International Finance class that really brought my GPA down. I do have an upward trajectory with my GPA and econometrics classes, however)

RA Work: Internships at economic policy think tanks, the Council of Economic Advisers and RA work for a political economy professor in undergrad. RA for professor in grad school for a few months. Since leaving grad school, I worked for the IMF as an RA for a year, a think tank for 6 months and the BLS for 6 months as well. Currently looking for work in something more qualitative and big-picture that involves strategic thinking. 

Published Work: None, although master's theses received an A

GRE: 161 V, 163 Q, 5.5 A

Current Coursework: Calc II through UCLA Extension (A) (Summer 2022), Calc III at UCSD Extension (ongoing), Linear Algebra (Winter 2022), Discrete Math (Spring 2022), more?

I want to prove to admissions committees that I am serious about knowing the math well enough, so I am taking extension courses to fix my past mistakes. Another thing to note is that I was dealing with mental health issues in college, to the point where I was hospitalized for 3 days, and that negatively affected my performance to some extent. I'm not using it as an excuse, just saying that it was a factor. I don't know if I should mention this in my application (I probably won't).

SOP: I have a deep interest in political economy, as my parents are immigrants from Eastern Europe, and learning about their experience under a planned economy inspired me to think about economic structures and their political and historical reasoning and implications. International development is also of interest, as the marginal impact of policy interventions is large and development was a big part of my research into Eastern Bloc economies and political economy. 

LOR: A LOR from an economics professor who I loved in undergrad and still talk with about economics on a regular basis. He's said that the previous LORs he's written for me have been "glowing". His work is in economic history, another research interest area of mine. LOR from a well-known economics professor in international development who was my thesis adviser n grad school (I also took a class with her an got an A-). LOR from IMF economist who I worked with when I was at the Fund. 

Do I have a chance at UMass, American or New School if I apply this year? 

Thanks!

On 10/5/2022 at 4:52 PM, dyiwang said:

Yeah, I think you have a shot, but seems like you are missing real analysis, or is that called something else in your course load?

Yeah, I'll take it depending on how I do in linear and discrete. They're online classes, so they're easy As, but real could be a whole different level. I'm also looking to apply for these programs this year, so unless I decide to apply again next year, the admissions committees won't see my real and discrete classes. However, I would apply to a broader range of schools the second time around, as the ones that I'm applying to now are my top choices.