Urch Forums

2023 Sweat Thread

Erin

4 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Does anyone know if it is correct that Berkeley sends out waves of rejections prior to acceptances? Do you know how encouraging it would be to not have gotten that first cut? Thank you.

At least last year they did and seems like they might be doing the same thing this year. I don't know if it's much of a positive sign if you survive a rejection wave. Last year I think the last wave had much more rejections than the prior ones (mine included). 

5 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Does anyone know if it is correct that Berkeley sends out waves of rejections prior to acceptances? Do you know how encouraging it would be to not have gotten that first cut? Thank you.

It's 4 rejections on GC. Last year they were 38 in total, so I imagine its really the cutoffs like GPA, GRE, TOEFL<90...

This is likely to be decided differently on different campuses and probably differently across different departments on the same campus. It is not good. In many places there are not yet clear decisions.

On the other hand, pay for graduate students is going up a lot.

56 minutes ago, startz said:

This is likely to be decided differently on different campuses and probably differently across different departments on the same campus. It is not good. In many places there are not yet clear decisions.

On the other hand, pay for graduate students is going up a lot.

In Berkeley or in general? Guess that if they try to match expected inflation it should rise indeed...

4 hours ago, Devykl said:

In Berkeley or in general? Guess that if they try to match expected inflation it should rise indeed...

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the raise is on the order of 30 percent first year plus another 20 percent the second year across all the UC's. Pay at Berkeley and UCLA will be somewhat higher. Much, much more than inflation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, startz said:

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the raise is on the order of 30 percent first year plus another 20 percent the second year across all the UC's. Pay at Berkeley and UCLA will be somewhat higher. Much, much more than inflation.

If funding solutions are as up in the air as your posts and that article suggests, how would a graduate committee conclude the optimal number of matriculants for this year with certainty? 

1 hour ago, bigdawg said:

If funding solutions are as up in the air as your posts and that article suggests, how would a graduate committee conclude the optimal number of matriculants for this year with certainty? 

Good question. We're wondering about that too! This will be a campus-by-campus decision. We (UCSB) do not have an answer. I'm told, third hand, that one other campus has been told to make many fewer offers.

anyone knows how much funding Penn State gives? like how much percentage of students get funded? and if they have a difference in funding (for instance, some got less, some got more, or all the same)? I got an offer with wl for funding, so worried i cannot get money. I don't want to pay even in the first year, there would be great pressure

• Erin unpinned this topic