Urch Forums

2023 Sweat Thread

Erin

3 hours ago, jwh_py said:

Does anyone know how to prep for the 15 minute online interviews? Is it just a chance for them to review your CV, essays, interests?

I've heard they could be everything from "we just wanna make sure you have people skills" to "we're gonna go in depth about your experiences and what you got out of them." I think it's school specific.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, econgradapps said:

Why does Ohio State not guaranteeing first year funding? Do most students get first year funding? What are my chances?

I was also wondering the same thing and would like to add to the question. It seemed like there were quite a few applicants to receive admission. Do some schools (not necessarily OSU) have a strategy of admitting way more students than they can financially support in hopes of having a collection of students pay their way through? 

Spending an enjoyable evening doom scrolling through last year's posts on here and wondering if it seems like schools are taking a bit longer to come out this year? I'm well aware of the Stanford decision delays, but are other schools also taking longer this year? At this point last year it looks like this place was quite the scene.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigdawg said:

Spending an enjoyable evening doom scrolling through last year's posts on here and wondering if it seems like schools are taking a bit longer to come out this year? I'm well aware of the Stanford decision delays, but are other schools also taking longer this year? At this point last year it looks like this place was quite the scene.

The most likely scenario is that, after not hearing back from almost any university for an entire month, we are going to receive a lot of news in the next two weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PleaseDoNotTroll said:

The most likely scenario is that, after not hearing back from almost any university for an entire month, we are going to receive a lot of news in the next two weeks.

Yeah, this seems likely. As cliché as it is, try to enjoy the days with no news as well. Speaking from experience, getting rejected sucks, and pretty much everyone is going to have at least some. Days with no news beat those days by a wide margin.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, bigdawg said:

Interesting. Pretty much all the programs I applied to didn't start notifying until late Feb last year, at least according to GC

On 2/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, bigdawg said:

I'm hoping that this is the case. A professor at UWisconsin and another at UChicago told me that phd admissions were moving slower than usual this year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gwaka said:

I'm hoping that this is the case. A professor at UWisconsin and another at UChicago told me that phd admissions were moving slower than usual this year. 

Interesting, did they give a reason why? Is there a reason that comes to mind? For some schools like Maryland it seems like they moved quicker than last year. Penn State seemed to be right on time compared to last year. I wonder why it would change by school (other than the UC ones for the reasons above)

Edited by bigdawg

17 hours ago, Gwaka said:

Ouch.. So according to GC we could have expected Chicago and Harvard this week (and Stanford maybe), we'll see what comes up

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigdawg said:

Interesting, did they give a reason why? Is there a reason that comes to mind? For some schools like Maryland it seems like they moved quicker than last year. Penn State seemed to be right on time compared to last year. I wonder why it would change by school (other than the UC ones for the reasons above)

Unfortunately they didn't say why and I didn't feel I was in a position to ask. I'm sure it's not a universal issue for all schools/programs, but it takes some pressure off if I tell myself that it is. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Erin unpinned this topic