Urch Forums

2023 Application Cycle Results Thread

seabrother123

Hi, 

As this year's cycle has come to an end, I am creating this thread so that people can share their results/experiences.

Good luck with your future career!

Here's the template from last year's post:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses:

Econ Courses:

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests:

SOP:

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances:

Waitlists:

Rejections:

Pending:

Attending:

Comments:

What would you have done differently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: T20 US Private

Undergrad GPA: 3.96

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 161V, 170Q

Math Courses: 10 senior level courses (All A), 2 PhD level courses (All A), includes analysis, statistics, topology, and probability classes. 

Econ Courses: 5 PhD level courses (All A, including graduate Micro I+II), 5 senior level courses (All A), a lot of micro theory. 

Other Courses: 5 CS classes (All A), including machine learning and data structures and algorithms. 

Letters of Recommendation: Did independent research with 2 professors (also my PhD micro profs), RA'd for the other one. All well-known in the theory world. 

Research Experience: Honors thesis on repeated games, RA on macro work, both part time in undergrad. 

Teaching Experience: 2 years of TA experience, not very relevant. 

Research Interests: Micro theory

SOP: It's ok 

Other: N/A

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Northwestern, UMich, JHU, BU

Waitlists: MIT, Penn, NYU, UCLA, Duke, Brown, UCSD

Rejections: Stanford, Harvard, HBS, Berkeley, UChicago

Attending: One of Y/P/N

Comments: Huge results for a undergrad applying with not much research experience! My advice to American undergrads is that a B.A. is absolutely enough to at least try and apply directly to PhD programs especially if you're not interested in applied stuff and you're satisfied with your resume and transcript, international applicants should still go through the T10 masters/predoc route since that's what adcoms prefer. Take a lot of hard math/econ classes and do well in them. Try to have a decent writing sample before you apply and absolutely try to build good relationships with profs. 

• Like 1

• Erin pinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Quite sad that these young folks come here to get information, but run away as soon as they have gotten offers instead of coming to share information on their profiles and results.

I miss the tradition of past years, especially when I was on the admissions market over a decade ago! Compare the quality and content of posts of now and then, mainly the profiles and results, you will be amazed

Which other oldie is kinda disappointed?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 6:18 PM, Facultoadviso said:

Quite sad that these young folks come here to get information, but run away as soon as they have gotten offers instead of coming to share information on their profiles and results.

I miss the tradition of past years, especially when I was on the admissions market over a decade ago! Compare the quality and content of posts of now and then, mainly the profiles and results, you will be amazed

Which other oldie is kinda disappointed?

Hi. I think after years EJMR took some part of "popularity" + now Chinese bros have their own forums with more extensive and exhaustive info than here