Urch Forums

2024 Sweat Thread

4 hours ago, startz said:

Are you suggesting that people shouldn't bother to go to visit days?

I think the most informative parts of visit days for me have been very personal / specific to me. Like how I felt about walking around the campus, if the students made me feel comfortable, if the housing options available nearby were in neighborhoods I could see myself living, if my conversations with faculty members were productive / they seemed interested to get to know me, etc.

TLDR: visit days are more about the vibes for me

Edited to clarify that I am talking about the in-person components of the visit days.

Edited by econk
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 2:34 PM, grandee said:

Has anyone heard from Stockholm University? I emailed last week but no reply.

they emailed to say the process is nearly over - which I took to mean as rejections for everyone who has not heard from them yet

Here is my take on visit days. I think they are invaluable, and I only attended online. I agree that the program structure across a lot of the departments is similar, but it is useful to hear directly from the faculty and the students. What kind of advising support is offered (can you meet with faculty regularly, do they back candidates going to private sector, what are they doing to improve placements)? What is it like living in graduate housing? What kind of culture exists between students and students-faculty? These are some questions better addressed in person or zoom, than over emails, in my opinion. Of course departments present their best version, so evaluate accordingly.

• Like 2

I was waitlisted by Colorado (Boulder) econ PhD on Mar.25. Can any insider or admitted one share your info.  at the visit day? Then I can see the prob of being admitted. Thanks

19 minutes ago, sicko said:

I think the funniest is the NYU rejection nobody has gotten yet. I recorded a YouTube video for them and everything!

Actually there are some on the gc. My friend also recieved the rejection email - portal update.

1 hour ago, cheesy potatoes said:

Still waiting for a rejection from UC Davis. It's ridiculous that I had to pay $135 to apply and just hear nothing at this point. 

Did you mail them? It is possible that you are on the waitlist. 

3 hours ago, sicko said:

I think the funniest is the NYU rejection nobody has gotten yet. I recorded a YouTube video for them and everything!

I got the rejection, so I believe some were notified. They are probably just extremely slow.

4 hours ago, cheesy potatoes said:

Still waiting for a rejection from UC Davis. It's ridiculous that I had to pay $135 to apply and just hear nothing at this point. 

You are probably on the waitlist. I had heard nothing from them until last Friday when they emailed that I was on the waitlist, and if I was still interested

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, int_applicant_infinity said:

What are your fields of interest? Did you visit either school?

Yeah, I liked both and the cities a lot. Fields: labor econ, dev econ, social norms

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zzzzzzz said:

UW-Madison: received an email asking me to complete a survey to share the list of schools that I'm currently considering (including waitlists)
Did anyone receive the same email?

Yeah I received the same email. Had a dominating offer so I answered accordingly. 

On 4/8/2024 at 2:10 PM, macronompi said:

Last week of the cycle, LFG! If any of you are already declining offers, it would be helpful if you can post them over here 🙂

I declined offers from Columbia, Duke, Cornell, BU, UMD, and Penn State, and told UPenn, Brown, and UW-M to take me off their waitlists. Hope I've been of some help!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9