Urch Forums

2024 Sweat Thread

10 minutes ago, international said:

UC Davis, Penn State, and UVA. Can you please tell me which choice makes the most sense for me? My research interest is international economics(both trade and international macro) and macroeconomics.

UC Davis by far

Any perceptions from visit days / feelings from current grad students / info on faculty changes / general vibes on the following programs? Particularly as it relates to Macro / International Economics?

- UW Madison

- Duke

- Michigan

- NYU

- Penn

Any insight at all is helpful! Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer.

Edited by econk

1 hour ago, international said:

Thank you for your opinion. Can you give me a reason for your advice? (Why not Penn State in particular, even though trade is one of my interests.)

As far as I can tell, PSU is a very good option when you wanna do micro/metric theory. So if you wanna do trade in micro theory, then PSU can be an option. But, considering your interests in international topics and macroeconomics, UC Davis clearly dominates the others. (not to mention life in CA)

2 hours ago, econk said:

Any perceptions from visit days / feelings from current grad students / info on faculty changes / general vibes on the following programs? Particularly as it relates to Macro / International Economics?

- UW Madison

- Duke

- Michigan

- NYU

- Penn

I have the same question here. In terms of Macro / International Economics, how will you compare UPenn vs Madison? Madison seems to have better advising, but UPenn seems to have a higher rank. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, XECONX said:

I have the same question here. In terms of Macro / International Economics, how will you compare UPenn vs Madison? Madison seems to have better advising, but UPenn seems to have a higher rank. 

I also have the same question, but how Penn x UW compares for IO. One has Wharton and the other seems to have stronger placements and better advising. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, XECONX said:

10 minutes ago, lsg said:

I also have the same question, but how Penn x UW compares for IO. One has Wharton and the other seems to have stronger placements and better advising. Any thoughts?

I’m also struggling with this. UW-Madison seems to be very invested in its students, and I think their placements have shown that.
I haven’t had the chance to hear from many current students at Penn, so I’d love any input y’all have on this. I also don’t think Penn has published its 2024 placements? 

I think that they kind of approach Macro the same way, too? Not sure about International.

I would just go for Penn if I was the case. Advising might be slightly better for UW but I would say it's not that significant enough to choose madison for it. Also Penn does have name value if things do go south.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, econk said:

- UW Madison

- Duke

- Michigan

- NYU

- Penn

Personally, I think NYU is the best in Macro among this list (not sure about International Economics). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XECONX said:

I would choose Penn for the overall Ivy prestige and presumably better funding than a state school.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, applicant123 said:

Hello everyone, has anyone already declined an offer from UPenn (Econ department), or is considering to do so? 

I declined it on Sunday. 

Remember that most PhD programs overbook acceptances: if your target cohort is 20, you will send ~60 acceptances. Then departments wait for a bunch of rejections to start calling for the waitlisted. All this to say: it's not because they received one decline that they will start calling people from the waitlist. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, XECONX said:

I don’t think it makes much sense to choose a school that has worse advising because they have a higher rank. First of all, the US News ranking is a weird metric to use in my opinion, and if your goal is to do good economics, which it should be if you’re pursuing a PhD, then the school with better advising should be chosen every time.

• Like 2

Just now, econdk said:

It seems that this year's waitlist moves slowly, does anyone know the reason?

At least at the top, Stanford won’t move until probably the 15th, which will cause a lot of movement in the top 10

Any idea about UCL and whether their waitlist typically clears? Also, can anyone confirm what has been the typical size of their incoming cohort (is it still 40ish like someone on this thread earlier suggested) and what their funding package is like?

And finally, how does UCL compare to other UK unis (except LSE)