Urch Forums

2024 Sweat Thread

13 minutes ago, sicko said:

At least at the top, Stanford won’t move until probably the 15th, which will cause a lot of movement in the top 10

I see, if there is not much movement in top 10, there will not be a lot of movement for the later program...

3 hours ago, sicko said:

At least at the top, Stanford won’t move until probably the 15th, which will cause a lot of movement in the top 10

With a lot of the top programs, they had minimal acceptances that they offered, but it appears many top programs (Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, etc.) offered many of the same people. When those people finally make a decision (and hopefully disseminate that information to the rejected schools in a timely manner), the waitlists will begin to move.

This is all to say, if you have multiple offers and are waiting on waitlists to move, do everyone a courtesy and reject the dominated offers (i.e., choose one of the offers).

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, slutsky_equation said:

With a lot of the top programs, they had minimal acceptances that they offered, but it appears many top programs (Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, etc.) offered many of the same people. When those people finally make a decision (and hopefully disseminate that information to the rejected schools in a timely manner), the waitlists will begin to move.

This is all to say, if you have multiple offers and are waiting on waitlists to move, do everyone a courtesy and reject the dominated offers (i.e., choose one of the offers).

I’ve met people like these on several visit days, not sure what they’re waiting for now that most visit days are done.

• Like 1

Has anyone emailed about Duke's waitlist and received info on movement/likelihood of being admitted? I literally have not heard anything. 

I've declined all but one offer because I understand the pain of waiting, but I wish schools were more transparent with waitlisted candidates, too! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomyum said:

I’ve met people like these on several visit days, not sure what they’re waiting for now that most visit days are done.

Current Fed RA here. Some departments will actually offer additional funding/perks to students who have not responded to the offer by the last few days. One former Fed RA now at a T15 got offered thousands of dollars in research funds per year out of the blue because she had not made a decision with a few days left to go. 

Edited by SliferTheDragon

7 minutes ago, SliferTheDragon said:

Current Fed RA here. Some departments will actually offer additional funding/perks to students who have not made a decision by the last few days. One former Fed RA now at a T15 got offered thousands of dollars in research funds per year out of the blue because she had not made a decision with a few days left to go. 

I think they might be referring to people who have already 100% made up their mind (and no amount of funding would alter their decision). For example, someone who knows they are going to Chicago, but has not yet declined NYU, Columbia, etc.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 6:36 PM, LRM said:

I would choose Penn for the overall Ivy prestige and presumably better funding than a state school.

Actually, Madison might have better funding than Penn here lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XECONX said:

Actually, Madison might have better funding than Penn here lol

I highly doubt that. I got offers from both. The difference in funding is HUGE, even taking the cost of living into account.

• Like 1

As we get into these last few days, remember to take time for yourself. The treatment effect of program is extremely difficult to disentangle from your own personal fixed effect. We will all find a wonderful place where we will thrive and succeed. Deep breathes. Take it one day at a time. We got this!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slutsky_equation said:

As we get into these last few days, remember to take time for yourself. The treatment effect of program is extremely difficult to disentangle from your own personal fixed effect. We will all find a wonderful place where we will thrive and succeed. Deep breathes. Take it one day at a time. We got this!

This. Ultimately, for a given individual I don't think it hugely matters if he/she attended a top 10, top 20 or top 30 program. The median outcome even at top 10 schools is an industry job like Amazon these days... The biggest difference is basically "quality of life" during the PhD. Higher ranked departments offer bigger stipends, better facilities, and more research funding but not always better training and mentoring such as publishing with advisors.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, econica said:

I highly doubt that. I got offers from both. The difference in funding is HUGE, even taking the cost of living into account.

I guess bc Penn and Madison both have several tiers of funding packages

• Like 1