Jump to content
Urch Forums

2024 Sweat Thread


Recommended Posts

I always thought that whenever a department says they admit something like 50 students to have a class size of 25-30, it meant the admits from both the first round of offers plus admits from waitlisted applicants. So if this isn't the case, universities actually admit more than they actually say, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, lsg said:

I always thought that whenever a department says they admit something like 50 students to have a class size of 25-30, it meant the admits from both the first round of offers plus admits from waitlisted applicants. 

That's right, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, lsg said:

I always thought that whenever a department says they admit something like 50 students to have a class size of 25-30, it meant the admits from both the first round of offers plus admits from waitlisted applicants. So if this isn't the case, universities actually admit more than they actually say, no?

Michigan and BU sent over 100 first round offers, so I think it depends on the school. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No fund = no admission? 

PSU has sent me a NO FUND OFFER that they don't provide any financial aid at this point. The DGS told me that they have been giving scholarships from the second year for all the cases of graduate students who have received a NO FUND OFFER if they pass the qualifiers.(years 2 ~ 5) I have some external scholarships, so I can more or less cover my tuition and living expenses for the first and second year.

Given that PSU is such a great school I could go to that matches my research interests, would it be okay to accept this offer? Or does it make more sense to choose a school with a full-funding offer that doesn't match my research fit.

Edited by international
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, international said:

No fund = no admission? 

PSU has sent me a NO FUND OFFER that they don't provide any financial aid at this point. The DGS told me that they have been giving scholarships from the second year for all the cases of graduate students who have received a NO FUND OFFER if they pass the qualifiers.(years 2 ~ 5) I have some external scholarships, so I can more or less cover my tuition and living expenses for the first and second year.

Given that PSU is such a great school I could go to that matches my research interests, would it be okay to accept this offer? Or does it make more sense to choose a school with a full-funding offer that doesn't match my research fit.

If 1. You can reasonably comfortably fund your first year with scholarships 2. They can guarantee you funding from the second year onward 3. You're reasonably confident you will pass qualifying exams, and 4. This is your top choice, then I'd say go for it! Make sure you get #2 in writing though.

Edited by int_applicant_infinity
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, international said:

No fund = no admission? 

PSU has sent me a NO FUND OFFER that they don't provide any financial aid at this point. The DGS told me that they have been giving scholarships from the second year for all the cases of graduate students who have received a NO FUND OFFER if they pass the qualifiers.(years 2 ~ 5) I have some external scholarships, so I can more or less cover my tuition and living expenses for the first and second year.

Given that PSU is such a great school I could go to that matches my research interests, would it be okay to accept this offer? Or does it make more sense to choose a school with a full-funding offer that doesn't match my research fit.

May I ask if you received the email with a template offer from the DGS saying that they will move the waitlist on April 15?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Traditionally (for American graduate schools), one had to ask for a release from the first school...which as a practical matter was always granted. That is no longer true. The details are at https://cgsnet.org/resources/for-current-prospective-graduate-students/april-15-resolution.

Note that while changing your mind before April 15th is completely okay, in some circumstances the losing school may be annoyed after April 15th. At the very least, it shouldn't be done lightly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, int_applicant_infinity said:

If 1. You can reasonably comfortably fund your first year with scholarships 2. They can guarantee you funding from the second year onward 3. You're reasonably confident you will pass qualifying exams, and 4. This is your top choice, then I'd say go for it! Make sure you get #2 in writing though.

Thank you for your opinion. DGS didn't tell me in formal writing that they would provide funding from year 2 onwards and said they couldn't guarantee it in advance, but I'm going to ask for a formal written letter again.(I think it would be hard to change their stance.) If they just sent an informal email saying that they have offered funding in the past to all students who came in with a NO FUNDED offer if they pass a qualifier and will continue to do so, is it good to go or too risky?

1 hour ago, tywp said:

May I ask if you received the email with a template offer from the DGS saying that they will move the waitlist on April 15?

I received an email with a template offer. They said funding opportunities will be released on Monday morning.

Edited by international
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, international said:

Thank you for your opinion. DGS didn't tell me in formal writing that they would provide funding from year 2 onwards and said they couldn't guarantee it in advance, but I'm going to ask for a formal written letter again.(I think it would be hard to change their stance.) If they just sent an informal email saying that they have offered funding in the past to all students who came in with a NO FUNDED offer if they pass a qualifier and will continue to do so, is it good to go or too risky?

I received an email with a template offer. They said funding opportunities will be released on Monday morning.

I recommend talking to the DGS over the phone if you can to get a sense of how guaranteed the funding is.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, startz said:

Traditionally (for American graduate schools), one had to ask for a release from the first school...which as a practical matter was always granted. That is no longer true. The details are at https://cgsnet.org/resources/for-current-prospective-graduate-students/april-15-resolution.

Note that while changing your mind before April 15th is completely okay, in some circumstances the losing school may be annoyed after April 15th. At the very least, it shouldn't be done lightly.

That’s really interesting— it seems absurd to not release students, especially since (theoretically) program-student matches should be stable (in the Gale-Shapley sense). Post-April-15 issues seem like another good argument for just running a match, rather than an admissions process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...