Urch Forums

2024 Sweat Thread

On 4/10/2024 at 5:46 PM, StressedAndAnxious said:

Any idea about UCL and whether their waitlist typically clears? Also, can anyone confirm what has been the typical size of their incoming cohort (is it still 40ish like someone on this thread earlier suggested) and what their funding package is like?

And finally, how does UCL compare to other UK unis (except LSE)

Please share if you've got any info about UCL waitlist, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

1 hour ago, international said:

How did you know that. Do you know when it is likely to be?

They asked offer holders for an update about their decisions yesterday afternoon (in theory so that they could get a better sense of how many more waitlist offers they can send)

edited to add: I would assume they would be sending them on Monday since that’s the last day, and I’m not sure that they send any on weekends. I have no direct information on timing, though.

Edited by econk

The deadline for accepting is on April 15th. Does anyone know whether there is an exact time of the day that one must accept the offer? Is by midnight if not specified?

Does anyone know whether there will be any wl movement this weekend? Unsure whether they will work on the weekend before 15th April this year. I'm sure they worked last year, but 15th April was a Sunday last year.

• Like 1

Just now, denisloyal said:

Hello guys, what will you choose between Minnesota, Wisconsin and BU if the fields are macro, political and urban? I just want to be prepared for the potential chance to be off the waitlist...

I might choose between Minnesota and Wisconsin. Minnesota is strong in Macro, and Wisconsin is strong in urban.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bonner-001 said:

Congrats! Did you decline UCSD or are you planning to do so?

Oh, it was only a comment. I already declined all other offers and committed. I'm just staying around to collect info for my friends.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, XECONX said:

Oh, it was only a comment. I already declined all other offers and committed. I'm just staying around to collect info for my friends.

Huge congrats!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

UVA and Purdue accepted. They came in the past two days (for me at least). Gonna reject Warwick if accepted. Rejected Rutgers previously. Gonna happily accept UVA when its official offer comes tomorrow. Although I could only apply to programs with a deadline no earlier than January 15th, as I had an accident, I'm very happy with UVA. Its Macro-Monetary professors are a great fit for my areas of research. Don't get sad if you didn't get accepted to top 20-30. Just find great professors that fit your areas of interest and do your best in the following 5-6 years.

Good luck to all. Don't lose hope. Very stressful two months it has been.

Edited by chadinator

22 minutes ago, chadinator said:

UVA and Purdue accepted. They came in the past two days (for me at least). Gonna reject Warwick if accepted. Gonna happily accept UVA when it's official offer comes tomorrow. Although I could only apply to programs with a deadline no earlier than January 15th, as I had an accident, I'm very happy with UVA. Its Macro-Monetary professors are great for my area of research. Don't get sad if you didn't get accepted to top 20-30. Just find great professors that fit your areas of interest and do your best in the following 5-6 years.

Good luck to all. Don't lose hope. Very stressful two months it has been.

Congrats! Also, seems like WL for Stanford is starting to move according to GC. Maybe the ripple down effect will start soon. Fingers crossed for all of us! 

• Like 4

I am still waitlisted at UMD. I emailed them to request further information and they said "We will still be making decisions about waitlisted candidates until the very end of the process, including the afternoon and evening of April 15."

Should I accept my second-best offer? Does anybody know at what time exactly is the deadline on April 15th?

5 minutes ago, ehfar said:

I am still waitlisted at UMD. I emailed them to request further information and they said "We will still be making decisions about waitlisted candidates until the very end of the process, including the afternoon and evening of April 15."

Should I accept my second-best offer? Does anybody know at what time exactly is the deadline on April 15th?

You should email the director of your second-best program to ask about the exact deadline. But if they don't emphasize it in the offer letter, it may be 23:59 on April 15.

May I know your opinions about how to choose among UT-Austin, Penn State and Rochester?

My research interest includes labor, political economy and I believe it's okay as long as it's applied micro.

Austin requires to work as TA from the first year, which is too stressful...

42 minutes ago, OfferPlease said:

May I know your opinions about how to choose among UT-Austin, Penn State and Rochester?

My research interest includes labor, political economy and I believe it's okay as long as it's applied micro.

Go to UT-Austin. It clearly dominates the other two in the field of your interests.

• Like 1

I received a guaranteed funding for two years at UW-Seattle. I am confused whether I should take it. I would need financial aid throughout the program duration given I pass the qualifiers. UW -Seattle is my first choice however I am worried how risky it would be. Wil I face any problem in visa application? Note that I don't have the financial back up. Any advice?

2 hours ago, OfferPlease said:

UT-Austin is much better for Applied Micro. My research interests also fall definitively in the Applied Micro camp and my undergrad advisor suggested I cross Penn State and Rochester off my list due to the lack of Applied Micro research there.

Edited by SliferTheDragon
  • Like 1