Urch Forums

2024 Sweat Thread

5 minutes ago, john dodo said:

For me, whenever it is hard to choose, I would just for ranking as specific interests can always change anyway. But it depends I guess.

wait, I don't understand this comment? I am exhausted, so it's possible my English is just not English-ing today lol.

Just now, WordLife said:

Reach out to the waitlisted school(s) and ask what your chances of getting in off the waitlist are. Mention that you would accept if they offered you.

I did.. and they either responded to just wait for today since they are still making decisions or didn’t reply at all.. Maybe I just have to wait with patience 🧘 lol

10 minutes ago, plzz said:

What should I do if waitlisted schools ghosts me till the last second? My waitlists clearly dominates my current offer and have no idea what to do in this last 12 hours..

Yeah I would say to check with the offer you have as well. Some schools have slightly different deadlines to accept today. Know that deadline, but feel free to accept and reneg if you get offered from the waitlist

3 minutes ago, plzz said:

I did.. and they either responded to just wait for today since they are still making decisions or didn’t reply at all.. Maybe I just have to wait with patience 🧘 lol

I did the same and every second I feel more and more like the wee hours of the night are going to be insane and that tons of people will be withdrawing tomorrow or wednesday

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topredocornot said:

Anyone know how I should choose between Chicago, Northwestern and Columbia? I'm very undecided on what I want to do but I'm generally interested in theoretical aspects of econ.

Northwestern’s placements in theory dominate, right? They’ve done extremely well in the last few years.

14 minutes ago, topredocornot said:

Anyone know how I should choose between Chicago, Northwestern and Columbia? I'm very undecided on what I want to do but I'm generally interested in theoretical aspects of econ.

I chose Northwestern, their placement is crazy and the environment is very supportive. Chicago's faculty does not care much about their students. Columbia is in NYC which is great!

7 minutes ago, sicko said:

Northwestern’s placements in theory dominate, right? They’ve done extremely well in the last few years.

I think it probably depends on what subfield of theory you want. I would assume Columbia is probably a bit stronger on the macro theory side of things. Chicago big on the Gary Becker method of using economic theory to describe crime, fertility, etc.

1 hour ago, econk said:

wait, I don't understand this comment? I am exhausted, so it's possible my English is just not English-ing today lol.

Sorry I wrote too fast and made tons of errors. I was just saying I would go for Upenn (instead of wisconsin) if you are not sure what to choose. If they are not significantly different in terms of program, might as well just go for higher ranked program.

4 minutes ago, john dodo said:

Sorry I wrote too fast and made tons of errors. I was just saying I would go for Upenn (instead of wisconsin) if you are not sure what to choose. If they are not significantly different in terms of program, might as well just go for higher ranked program.

Ahh gotcha gotcha. In general, I agree

11 minutes ago, john dodo said:

Just got accepted off of my second-best waitlist. I have declined my other offers (including BU, Cornell) and requested to be removed from other WL (including UCSD). Good luck to everyone!

Are you willing to share which offer you received? Thanks!

1 hour ago, topredocornot said:

I would choose between Chicago and Northwestern. Because their placement is better than Columbia's (Columbia's placement is terrible for a top 10 after 2020). Northwestern is more supportive than Chicago, but it also depends on your field. NW's Macro is not as good as Chicago's.

28 minutes ago, MACRO-Enthusiast said:

Got un update from Mayland that they can not give me an offer

Re-check ur email. I received the same email. Then 30 minutes later, I received another email that first email was sent by mistake!!! and that my application is still being considered. As if I needed extra stress!

1 hour ago, topredocornot said:

Chicago > Columbia > NW in my mind taking into account wider institutional prestige for industry jobs, which is where most people end up these days. Perhaps Columbia first if you really want to live in NYC.

8 minutes ago, ehfar said:
8 minutes ago, ehfar said:

Re-check ur email. I received the same email. Then 30 minutes later, I received another email that first email was sent by mistake!!! and that my application is still being considered. As if I needed extra stress!

Thanks! I got the same one

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LRM said:

Chicago > Columbia > NW in my mind taking into account wider institutional prestige for industry jobs, which is where most people end up these days. Perhaps Columbia first if you really want to live in NYC.

I doubted it... I have friends who chose NW over Yale, Columbia, and UChicago over the past two years. The NW's placement is way better. But, admittedly, it is in NY so potentially you will have better outside options. But if you still want to stay in academia, NW and Chicago are much better. Most Columbia PhD went to industry after graduation ...

51 minutes ago, XECONX said:

I doubted it... I have friends who chose NW over Yale, Columbia, and UChicago over the past two years. The NW's placement is way better. But, admittedly, it is in NY so potentially you will have better outside options. But if you still want to stay in academia, NW and Chicago are much better. Most Columbia PhD went to industry after graduation ...

I think you would have to be insane to turn down Yale for NW... Also the stipend at Yale is close to 60k from what I remember reading here or XJMR. As for Columbia grads going to industry I think it is in part due to the opportunity to do so by interning and networking in NYC, and the desire to stay in the city rather than moving to a college town in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by LRM