Urch Forums

How many sentences do you speak in one minute?

knok

Hi,

There are frequently asking questions.

How do I know that the time is almost up in one minute?

Generally, people will speak understandably in 5 sentences if they are long sentences. However, people usually cannot speak over 8-10 sentences in one minute. People may speak 10 short sentences in one minute in order to be understandable.

Native speakers themselves can tell a picture story in Toward speaking excellence, page 48, total 13 sentences in one minute.(non stop) If you are sure that you can speak clearly with that speed, it is okay.

If I cannot finish the answers, will I pass?

If you cannot finish speaking the answers but cover most of major points in questions, you will be okay. Ask Elsie about that.

Do your best. Don't force yourselves to be perfect, please. It is not gonna happen in that time frame.

Good Luck, :)

Knok

Hi friends :)

The no: of sentences that a person can speak in one min for TSE, depends upon the individual, I think. But in my experience, I can confidently say that when I speak about 5-7 sentences(neither too long nor too short) in one min, I speak at a normal pace, and am able to say all words clearly with correct pause, this will help me to finish in about 45-59 seconds. I practised with this strategy and used this in my Nov. TSE, though results haven't come yet; but was able to finish all answers on time, between 50 - 60 seconds.

Develop what helps u to speak comfortably at a normal pace.

Good luck :tup:

Elsie.

To speak for 70 words/min, the target is for 50 and for 100-125 word /min, the target is for 60.

That is just my guess.

100-125 words/min with correct linguistic accuracy, the rythm, and pace of a native speak. I guess. It is hard to do that if we are non-native speakers. Don't count the number of words though. We are not microsoft word processor....

Estimating from the number of sentences is more practical.

Better believe Elsie. :)

Konk,

I think you are right that it is hard for non-native speakers to talk around 10-12 sentences/min.

My point is, may be ETS has standard that to achieve score of 60, they are expecting people to talk about 10-12 sentences.

So for non-native speakers, if we talk about 5-7 sentences, the highest score we can get is 50. That is why for every question we have to be very alert.

Since we don't have much buffer.

Again, this is only my guess.

My friend spoke as Dean Papa John's recommendation. He spoke about 10-12 sentences/min. Also, he followed Dean in every question, he got 55. However, his pronunciation was really close to a native speaker. He spoke English at home and work with native speakers at least 20 years.

For a majority of non-native speakers, if they spoke more than 8 sentences/min (not too long, not too short sentences), you tend not to be able to pronounce words clearly except that you speak that sentence everyday. For example,sentence: How are you?, you are able to speak it faster and more fluent than any other sentence.

At this point, I still agree with Elsie.

appleoh,

The problem is if a normal pace of our speech is only 8 sentences/min, then we think that we are going to speak 10 sentences/min, we take our chances that we may hear the beep in the middle of the ninth sentence. What happens is that we cannot have or finish the conclusion. That may hurt our scores.(Conclusion= language function, cohesiveness, coherence)

Another example, one member of TestMagic spoke only 5 long sentences in opinion questions with good organization: introduction, body, and conclusion. Then, she/he got 55 as well. :)

Hi:)

In my experience, whenever I tried to say more than 6 sentences in 60 seconds, I couldn't finish on time. In my October TSE, from questions 1 to 6, I said only 5-6 sentences each and I was able to speak at normal rate with clear pronunciation, and also finish answering; I got 50 for Oct.

But I know that different people have different pace which they are comfortable with. You can find that out by regular practice with timing, then u'll know how many sentences u can usually finish in 60 seconds; and accordingly, u can organise ur answer...for eg: see my post on this page..

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16810

So while practising we can decide how to organise our answers, it'll help a lot.

Good luck. :tup:

Elsie