Urch Forums

having trouble with SC

fighteress

Records of the first 736 British convicts deported to Australia reveal convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged from highway robbery to forgery.

http://kaplan.blackboard.com/images/spacer.gif convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged convictions in all cases were for crimes against property and ranging the ranging of convictions for crimes against property in all cases that all were convicted of crimes against property ranging that all of them had convictions for crimes that were against property; the range was

Hi, can someone explain why the answer (D) is correct? It would seem to me that "ranging" is incorrectly modifying property rather than crimes, as should be the case. This leads to my overall problem with SC questions. Many times I will see more than one mistake, but I end up picking the answer that has the less of 2 evils, which is very frustrating. What exactly is the priority list of grammar violations that ETS is using?

Fighteress

oops....sorry about the formatting of the question....here it is again...

Records of the first 736 British convicts deported to Australia reveal convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged from highway robbery to forgery.

A. convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged

B. convictions in all cases were for crimes against property and ranging

C. the ranging of convictions for crimes against property in all cases

D. that all were convicted of crimes against property ranging

E. that all of them had convictions for crimes that were against property; the range was

oops....sorry about the formatting of the question....here it is again...

A. convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged

B. convictions in all cases were for crimes against property and ranging

C. the ranging of convictions for crimes against property in all cases

D. that all were convicted of crimes against property ranging

E. that all of them had convictions for crimes that were against property; the range was

is it D?

A: The reference to "They" is not clear. It seems that "They" refers to "convicts". Hence incorrect

B: use of "and" is not correct.

C: reveal the ranging - does not make sense

D: reveal that - idiom is ok. Reference to All is clear. It is the crime ranging from highway robbery to forgery. It looks fine.

E: use of semicolon implies two independent clauses. However, in the second sentence, the meaning is not clear. “The range of what”.

Hence, the correct answer "D". :)

HTH

A. convictions for crimes against property in all cases and they ranged - [they - confusing]

B. convictions in all cases were for crimes against property and ranging [and is not needed...ranging is giving details about property. It is cannot be separated using a conjunction]

C. the ranging of convictions for crimes against property in all cases [does not make sense "the ranging"]

D. that all were convicted of crimes against property ranging [correct, uses that correctly and then ranging is linked to property ]

E. that all of them had convictions for crimes that were against property; the range was [wordy, not concise]

fighteress, it is describing crimes related to property like forgery. They were not murders, kidnappings, etc.

amitraj--

in D) ranging is not modifying property as you suggest--its modifying crimes

i think thats what fighteress implies when saying-- one aspects at the cost of other

however -- out of D and E -- i eliminate E upfront due to same reasons and that leaves me with D.

I understand fighteress point but I was breaking up Crimes of type property. If you think that crimes can be demarcated into various sub-sections and one of them is property then it simplifies things. Examples of these would be highway robbery to forgery.

I think people who are not aware of the way Insurance works in US will have difficulty understanding that Property can be a type of crime. Under Property Insurance in the US, a person is covered for defamation, theft and other liabilities too. [i think forgery will also be included but I am not an insurance expert ;)]

The confusion is resolved as soon as we understand that Property is a section under crime.