Urch Forums

1470/6.0 1/nov/02 thrilled with AWA!

creativelives

Verbal - 700 (97%ile)

Math - 770 (86%ile)

AWA - 6/6

I am thrilled with my AWA scores. I had practiced like crazy, and had some of my literatti friends score my essays. In the beginning, they said that my essays rambled, lacked substance and were too grandiose. They said that I was a 4 out of 6. I began to force myself to write essays in the American style. It really helps to brainstorm for five minutes, think of as many examples as possible and use them at appropriate time. I made my introductions and conclusions very strong. I was expecting a 5 or a 5.5, but a 6 is heartening!

Also, I cannot believe the number of students that have now begun to crack the Quantitative! I think my 770 must mean that I got most of initial questions right. I only attempted 27 of 28, and also am pretty sure that I got atleast two incorrect.

My Verbal score was disappointing because I had practiced like crazy, but my percentile is pretty decent. I expect that I got at least 25 questions right out of 30, and most of the initial ones right.

I wonder whether colleges receive percentile scores. I read somewhere that they don't. I would be at a disadvantage if the Humanities/S.Science program I applied to knew my Verbal score and not my percentile.

Does anyone know?

Originally posted by creativelives

Verbal - 700 (97%ile)

Math - 770 (86%ile)

AWA - 6/6

Congratulations

and celebrations

When I tell everyone that you got a 6

in essays GRE

Congratulations

and jubilations

we want the world to know we're happy as can be.

(with apologies to Cliff Richards)

Thank you. I practiced a lot and got feedback early on from friends who were good writers. You can ask your English teachers to go over your essays.

I sucked in the beginning. It took a lot of practice I tried to absorb the texture of the sample essays on the GRE website, if that makes any sense. I also purchased Thomson's Writing Guide which helped a bit.

Also, always time yourself from the very beginning. And practice the essays as if they were part of the normal test. That is, do two essays, take a 10 minute break and then solve a verbal and quantitative.

Hope this helps. All I know is that my essays on D-day were the best ever in all practice, because I somehow could come with many examples. I knew that something was going right. Guess I was building myself to that level (although in Quantitative i did pretty bad compared to my regular performance; i didn't even finish the test)

• 1 month later...