Urch Forums

1530/5.5 25 NOV 02 Weird

AmigoRo

Update:

I got my final scores:

Verbal 800 99%

Quant 730 78%

AWA 5.5 N/A

I am reasonably satisfied with my AWA score. I owe a great debt of gratitude to Erin and the 'Magicians.

Thanks

AmigoRo

This what the screen said:

Verbal 800

Quantative 730

Analytical

Nope, I am not kidding. I am not joking either. And I surely hope I am not hallucinating ?

Erin, is this a mistake ? Could it be V 730 and Q 800 and the computer has got it all wrong ?

If this is correct, is 730 for Q enough to apply for a PhD in Comp. Sci. ? Would they at all take into account my V score ?

Thanks a million.

I will write more when I get home.

AmigoRo

P.S. I got 740 for Verbal and 720 for Math for SAT. This is turning out to be a pattern.

Wow!

Well, you are definitely strong in verbal, Ro. So I woudn't be surprised if you aced the verbal.

But since your major is CS, I'd also hope you'd ace the Quant. So yes, it's a bit surprising. I was thinking you'd get 800 Quant, 750-800 Verbal.

At any rate, Congrats!! A 1530 is always a great score, no matter what!!

Thanks Erin,

Although I am a wee bit disappointed with Quantative score, I am over the moon about Verbal. Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would ever ace the verbal. I am deeply shocked.

I completely forgot to tell you guys about the essay part. I don't know whether I am allowed to mention the essay topics I got due to the confidentiality agreement I signed. But I think they went swimmingly well.

I never wrote the Issue topic before the exam, but I critiqued an essay on the same topic. So I was well prepared. I have to add here that (constructively) criticising other people's essays helped me a LOT.

I had not done the arg topic either, but it was a fairly straightforward one, and I didn't have any difficulty refuting the assumptions. However, I think that essay was bit sketchy, because I was in a hurry. I felt the clocks were going too fast. Is it just me, or is ETS playing with the space time continuum.

Anyway, all's well that ends relatively well. I can say for sure that I would have never got this score if not for Erin, and the rest of the TMians. A huge

THANK YOU

to all the TMians.

Okay, Erin, one more question before I end this post. Do you think that my perfect V score will compensate my not-so-perfect Q score ?

Hey Amigo, U DID IT!!! I am very happy for u!!... CONGRATULATIONS.....Dont worry about ut quant score....Apparently quant scores have come down a lot....Even my score was not a perfect one (Inspite of me being a CS major and also inspite of me scoring a perfect 800 back in 98 when I took my GRE for my first master's). I talked with one of the top adcomms and they said that they'll scale down their admission criteria accordingly......

JUST ENJOY UR 'HANGOVER" and then u got a really big task ahead...UR ADMISSION PROCESS....Anyway GRE score is not the only one that'll make or break the application.

GOOD LUCK AND HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS,

_Sri.

Hey AmigoRo,

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've CRACKED it !!

Wish you all the best!! I dont think your quant score will matter so much ... your command over English itself proves how intelligent you are !!

and sorry .. I couldn't reply to your question soon ... was a little busy ... I didn't spend any time on the pc ...

I am sure you will crack the essays too !!

All the luck.

Amruta

Hi amigoro,

Congratulations and let me tell you I am not at all surprised by your verbal scores. I have been reading your essays . Honestly, I just find your essays mindblowing . They reflect your verbal skills and really you have a talent for it...

Enjoy the feeling of that awesome score.

natasha

btw,have you considered writing on a professional level!;)

Originally posted by AmigoRo

Okay, Erin, one more question before I end this post. Do you think that my perfect V score will compensate my not-so-perfect Q score ?

Well, it's hard to say for sure, but logically, one would think that a 730 Quant would suffice for most programs, but there's always a chance that they might think you're more of a "liberal arts" kind of guy.

To be sure that they know you're strong in math, you might want to play up your more math-oriented accomplishments in your essays and perhaps even drop a line or two about how you've always been interested in language, that you're a polyglot, etc.

I wouldn't worry so much about this right now, unless of course you have the chance to take the test again (many of my students here in the US take their tests several times, so I see fluctuations in scores all the time, but generally UP to be sure). If you do take the test again, just cram for the math more than you did this time, and you'll be okay, I think.

Thanks for you wishes Shipla.

Thanks Sri. I just hope you are right about Q scores coming down.

Thanks Amruta. Thanks for your compliments too :o

Thanks Ketanjain.

Thanks Ananya. I worked as a cub reporter the last summer before I started uni. Does that count as professional writing ?

Thanks Dev. I am doing TOEFL in 2 hrs time. I will post a detailed message about how I prepared for GRE Verbal once I come back from that test.

Thanks Erin for your words of advice. Unfortunately, the "once per month" rule means that I can't do GRE again anytime soon. I have no choice but to go ahead and apply with these marks. Also, my area of interest is Artificial Intelligence. I am especially interested in Natural Language Processing. NLP requires a good understanding of Language as well as good base in Math, don't you think ?

Originally posted by creativelives

kudos to you man! did you get the feeling while doing the verbal that you are getting all the questions right?

also, did you practice a lot of vocab, or is your vocab naturally good.

Before I started studying for GRE, my vocabulary was at the level you would expect from a recent graduate. As I mentioned somewhere else, I knew about 60% of guru's 4000 word wordlist.

My weird word vocabulary is naturally really good. By weird words, I mean words like chthnoic, tmesis, eleemosynary, het etc. But I don't think these words ever turn up on the GRE.

I wonder if there is anything left to say. Iam not the least bit surprised about your verbal scores, but,a little bit about q, but, I guess that is not too much of a prob, since 740 is not bad in any way! GRE in a week, so, I dont know what exactly your score does to my morale... :) Any tips?

Hi AmigoRo

Congratulation for such a excellent scroe. Could please share your secret for verbal jack-pot. Which master world list you referred (Barrons or Kaplan or something else). How to prepare Specially for RC, I am poor in reading such a long RC's. What's best strategy for verbal prepartion on the whole.

I'll appreciate your help as usual. Please write in detail.

Thanks,

Anuradha

Originally posted by anuradha

Hi AmigoRo

Congratulation for such a excellent scroe. Could please share your secret for verbal jack-pot. Which master world list you referred (Barrons or Kaplan or something else). How to prepare Specially for RC, I am poor in reading such a long RC's. What's best strategy for verbal prepartion on the whole.

I'll appreciate your help as usual. Please write in detail.

Thanks,

Anuradha

Check the GRE:General section.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...