Urch Forums

Minor forum upgrade completed

Erin

Just want to let you know that I completed a routine minor upgrade to the forum software. You may notice some small differences and additions; for example, you now have the option of making the reply box bigger, if you like (try a reply to see).

If you notice anything out of the ordinary, feel free to post here to let me know. So far I've noticed two things: the "give rep" button is back to the default one (the scales) and the on-line indicator is back in its original position (I had it right after the username before).

Any other comments, please let me know. :)

test111111111122222222222233333333333333.

I see another change. If you bring cursor on reply , associated post number is visible.

Nothing happens when Increase Size is clicked on.

I am using Netscape Browser 7.0

Perhaps changes claimed are visible in IE.

I see another change. If you bring cursor on reply , associated post number is visible.
:confused: I don't get it...

Nothing happens when Increase Size is clicked on.

I am using Netscape Browser 7.0

Perhaps changes claimed are visible in IE.

I tested it in Firefox and IE; both work. Don't know about Netscape, though.

The increase-decrease thing works in Opera. :tup:

Can't get what awhig means by the cursor thing however.

You have an RSS feed for testmagic! That is great! Can I get it on my aggregator?

What is the RSS subscription link? Please post it, so we can subscribe. Thanks. :)

Btw, I think the RSS feed can be visually enhanced by using formatting and other eye candy.
Yep, that's the next step. But like I said, this is all new to me, but it's something I've been wanting to do for quite a while. It'll take me some time to get up to speed on the power of RSS. :D

Hi Erin,

I just happened to notice that the 'Add to user's reputation' icon has changed from the regular 'thumbs-up' image to something that aint too clear.

Yup, that's the stock image, which overwrote the thumbs-up icon when I uploaded the new files. I'm thinking of changing it to something more intuitive and unique, but I can't think of anything right now.

phpBB? No... Not enough features. We're using vB. I really love it, except the graphics. On a side note, I'm planning to have the forum "skinned" in two months or so.

I also dislike the scales in particular, but the thumbs up didn't seem to get people to give rep. I've seen a few other rep buttons, none of which were very intuitive.

Here's a sampling:

I just noticed something else about the Rep points. When I click on my posts which have got a rep, I come upon:

1. somewhat positive

2. positive

3. very positive

But how does the software decide this? I mean there are just two options while giving the rep points:

1. I approve

2. I disapprove

(+ space for comments)

Am I missing something here? :confused:

+ I really would like to know who is giving me some awesome remarks. :o Could you fix the rep-viewer somehow, Erin? :)

The rep system is a bit complicated, and I don't understand all the inner workings. But I think what you're referring to is caused by weighted rep that different people can give. New members, if I recall correctly, can give only one point of rep when they give rep; more senior members give more rep, but exactly how much I'm not sure--it's on the order of ten or twenty points. The amount of rep you can give is determined by many factors, including number of posts, length of membership, and amount of rep you have received.

So you really, really want to know your secret admirers, eh? Let me look into it. ;)