Urch Forums

Moderators Needed

Erin

TestMagic just keeps growing, faster and faster all the time, and I find that the forums will best continue their growth if we empower our already watchful eyes with some moderating powers. There are several of you who regularly PM me or use the button to notify me of posts (you know who you are!), and to you, I am thankful.

A few important things you should know:

• What do moderators do? Well, the main thing is simply keeping an eye on things, such as spam, double posts, posts made in the wrong forum, etc., and taking the appropriate action--deleting the posts, moving threads, and so on. Pretty simple stuff, actually.
  • This would be a completely voluntary position, at least in the beginning. I very well may be able to offer a small bit of compensation in the future, but for the time being, I cannot commit to this simply because I have no idea of the kind of ROI (in terms of improvement to the quality of the forums) that the TestMagic forums could expect from the investment. However, as a moderator, you would have easier access to me to ask me questions, and I would try my best to help you if I can and if I have the time. I should point out, though, that the one thing I cannot do is edit papers or essays, as it’s just much too time-consuming. Just want to say that in case that’s a consideration.
  • I will give preference to regular visitors with a history of good, meaningful interaction. In the future, I would imagine only forum members of 1,000 posts or so would be considered, but I know there are some great members with fewer posts who could really make great contributions.
  • Moderators should visit fairly regularly (at least several times a week), although it’s quite common for people to leave for a short period (vacation, finals, etc.) and return. And I would ask you not to volunteer if you don’t think you’ll be around in another six months or so. For example, if you’re just going to be too busy come summer because of your upcoming round-the-world-before-your-Ph. D. trip, then I’d prefer to choose somebody else.
  • No hard feelings if you’re a regular contributor and just want to stay that way. :)
  • I envision two levels of moderators--a starting level and an advanced level; because you just never know how things may turn out, first-level moderators will have fewer “powers” than second-level moderators. All moderators will start out as first-level moderators (although I intend to change the name to something catchier) and will hopefully be promoted to the second level as warranted.
  • I’m thinking that some people will feel comfortable only in certain forums; for example, an FPGEE moderator may not ever venture into the GMAT forums and may not want to moderate there; or a grammar person may never visit the math forums. This is fine; I would hope that the coverage would work out in the end, though.
  • I would hope to start with a relatively small batch of moderators, say five or so, and see how it goes from there.
  • Moderators MUST be professional, tactful, helpful, and polite. I think most of you will agree that TestMagic is generally a very friendly and helpful place, and anybody who represents TestMagic in the forums must promote the spirit we have come to expect here.
  • No ppl, ur, u, l8r, plz, wrt, and the like. I don’t mean to denigrate anybody, or their Internet habits, but really, this is an academic forum. I fully realize that some people have learned to use a lot of abbreviations to speed up their communication, but for us, more complete sentences are better. And some abbreviations are acceptable--BTW, LOL, ROFL, IMHO, YMMV, etc. I’m not passing judgment on anybody, but anybody who represents TestMagic simply needs to write in educated English.
  • Moderators must engage in moral, ethical, and legal behavior on the forums. This means no uploading or “sharing” of copyrighted material, no foul language, no sexual harassment, discriminatory behavior, etc.
  • There are more guidelines, but I will go into greater detail for those who are interested and who I think may work out.

This is the first time I’ve ever made a public post about moderators, and to be honest, I hope it’s the last. No, not that this group will bring TestMagic into the great beyond, but I would expect to contact people privately in the future; it’s just that now the need is a bit more pressing than I think it will be in the future, and I need to get the word out fairly quickly.

Post general questions here; ask whatever you want. If you want to know what’s involved, how much time it will take, etc., I’ll try my best to answer here in this thread. To show your interest, please PM me. :)

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post was long overdue!

This would be a completely voluntary position, at least in the beginning. I very well may be able to offer a small bit of compensation in the future, but for the time being, I cannot commit to this simply because I have no idea of the kind of ROI (in terms of improvement to the quality of the forums) that the TestMagic forums could expect from the investment.

What the heck...we owe that much to TM (at least). :o

A guy who asks for remuneration of any kind is an ***hole.

What the heck...we owe that much to TM (at least). :o

amen to that

A guy who asks for remuneration of any kind is an ***hole

Moderators must engage in moral, ethical, and legal behavior on the forums. This means no uploading or “sharing” of copyrighted material, no foul language, no sexual harassment, discriminatory behavior, etc.

Dear G, are you telling us indirectly that you don't want to be a moderator? :(

Honestly thought you were the best option for The Admissions Forum.

Dear Erin

Though i am known to be a wee bit biased towards the fairer sex ;) , guess i will not be a bad option.

Cheers

adonis

PS- promise to take care of my spellings.

@adonis

Don't get me wrong...I just wanted to say that Erin shouldn't award the position of 'Moderator' to a person who asks for remuneration...TM is like an alma-mater and it's our duty to help TM and Erin...

I'm sorry for the foul language in my earlier post.

Wow, thanks for asking! Dingus where are you??? ---> :sleepy:

Hehe. I messaged Erin. Though I admit I don't really follow some of the rules of conduct. Also, my grammar is a bit shaky sometimes. Thanks, scheng. :)

I'd love to help, but I only have around 200 posts :hmm: . I assure you that I make quality posts :D .

I can definitely second that! :tup:

Michael (Wasleys) would be awesome too. :)

Hehe. I messaged Erin. Though I admit I don't really follow some of the rules of conduct. Also, my grammar is a bit shaky sometimes. Thanks, scheng. :)

Hmm...didn't really notice your shaky grammer :hmm:, maybe mine is not so good either :D .

I can definitely second that! :tup:

Thanks Dingus!

Also, I just realize gforce's new title of De Geest van Informatie???How come I wasn't informed? What in the world does it mean anyway?

Let me revise a bit what I wrote. I didn't intend to come off as a grammar cop; I actually care more about intent than result. We all make grammar mistakes, and if English is not your first language, some awkward constructions or even errors are understandable.

The main thing I wouldn't want (actually, I have to say, I couldn't accept) is something like this:

hai ppl u cud email 2 me sum filz cuz me don't have gud inertnet, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 :crazy:

Let me revise a bit what I wrote. I didn't intend to come off as a grammar cop; I actually care more about intent than result. We all make grammar mistakes, and if English is not your first language, some awkward constructions or even errors are understandable.

The main thing I wouldn't want (actually, I have to say, I couldn't accept) is something like this:

hai ppl u cud email 2 me sum filz cuz me don't have gud inertnet, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 :crazy:

I totally agree! I cannot accept that either since I can barely understand it. I agree that the popularity of emails, instant messages and text messaging should not lower the quality of our English language use. Great example, Erin :tup: .

Also, I just realize gforce's new title of De Geest van Informatie???How come I wasn't informed? What in the world does it mean anyway?

He had the title: El Espíritu de Información, which means The Spirit of Information since he goes about breaking news and all. He decided to go all Dutch on it. ;) (Have a look at the royal decree: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20299&highlight=informacion) :D

I must say they don't appreciate the luxury of including all the vowels! They probably think they are still text-messaging in a 165 character limit.

Moderators should visit fairly regularly (at least several times a week), although it’s quite common for people to leave for a short period (vacation, finals, etc.) and return. And I would ask you not to volunteer if you don’t think you’ll be around in another six months or so. For example, if you’re just going to be too busy come summer because of your upcoming round-the-world-before-your-Ph. D. trip, then I’d prefer to choose somebody else.

It just reminds me I've quit being a moderator in two other American Forums recently just because I've been busy.:( Anyway, I'm not a good option once I 'm not familiar with TM forums. Besides, I think I'm still a newbie:o

I hope you find the ones who will make good moderators.:D

Just want to let everybody know that I will try to answer all the PMs tomorrow sometime. I'm a bit under the weather today, so I'll probably take it easy for the rest of the day.

Thanks to all of you who have read this thread and who've replied. You're all great, each in your own way. :o

Brasileira, I didn't know you were a moderator. You must know forums really well, then! :D

hi erin..

its really to see that finally such an initiative is being taken by you. We all know it is very difficult to maintain and organise such a popular forum with multiple sub sections, but i am sure most of the regular public here wouldnt really hesitate to take on the responsibility.

I have joined this forum couple of months back and i must say , it has provided me with some real indepth of the GMAT test , for which i shall always be grateful.

I wish all the best to you and TM. If you think, i can be of any help , please feel free

SUGGESTION: Why cant we have a seperate section containin the messages where the ppl upload some material on to the forum? It would be easier for others to navigate and close on wht exactly they are looking for.

Thanks to all of you who have read this thread and who've replied. You're all great, each in your own way. :o

Brasileira, I didn't know you were a moderator. You must know forums really well, then! :D

Yes, I've learned a lot.:o Well, I cannot compare the places I've worked to your website because I see you have a LOT of work here. :rolleyes:

By the way, you can call me Rose.:D

ERIN.. though I am not quite famous , I can tell you I have a good heart and a readiness to help TM has really made me a better person in life, I would like to make life easier for others at TM.

ERIN , what happened to your interview with Google is this an outcome of the interview, just curious.

I'll be pleased if I can be of assistance.

Thanks for all the kind words and offers, everybody. I've got about 15 people who've contacted by PM about this, and I'll be trying to answer them individually over the weekend.

What a kind-hearted group of people! :o

How on earth did i get late on this post ? .... oh wait i wasn't allowed to be on the system for long because of the surgery.

Erin .... give it to me baby ... ahan ahan ... (and all the gurlies say i'm pretty fly for a ** checks skin color ** brown guy ... ** BEATS **)

This is mah dream part-time job ... I am ready to pay you to give this to me :p

On a serious note, Erin you have got to let me do this .... PLZZZZZZ (kiddin) :D