Urch Forums

Moderators Needed

Erin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys n Gals,

I read this thread from Erin's first post to the last, and sorry to say but I am kinda dis-appointed......All the posts following Erin's first post have the same content "I want to be a moderator" OR "Erin, please make me a moderator"....

What I would have loved is a discussion on some suggestions on how Erin should implement the moderatorship, without diluting the quality of the forum. (I know that Erin is the sole person to take the ultimate decision, but its like the CEO of a corporation, who has to get inputs from his team, before any major decision)

Although Erin didnt requested specifically for any such discussion, but he also wouldnt mind any (unwarranted :hmm: ) suggestions from our side... sometimes a good discussion can open new doors or if not atleast help him to choose the right one..... He has some "ideas" :idea: about moderatorship which he has expressed in his first post.... and I know that there are so many talented and experienced people out here, who have been on numerous other fourms... and they can put forth their ideas and experience about moderatorship and the way a public forum like TM should go, so that it attains a distinct identity ...... I would really HATE :yuck: to see TM as just another GMAT/GRE/TOEFL/LSAT forum.....(hard to even imagine that).....

BTW, I know that I might be inviting flames (which is not my intenstion)..... but I have seen many forums simply vanishing because of BAD moderators.... I am not saying that there the people were wrong..... it is just that they were BAD as moderators...... and wouldn't like to see Erin regretting his decision to have moderators later on.....

No offence meant to anyone.....

Ketan

PS: If this is being discussed in some other thread, then please let me know.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Interesting idea. It never occurred to me to ask members what they were looking for in moderators; I made this post really just to gauge the interest.

I think your idea to ask what people want in their moderators is a good one, although I suspect most people would say pretty much the same thing--someone who is fair, polite, helpful, etc.

I'm thinking now that I will start with one or two moderators to see how it goes. I've had moderators before, but not for a while. I didn't have any problems with the previous moderators, and I wouldn't choose someone I didn't have full faith in. The people I would choose for the first round of moderators have been acting as de facto moderators in a very real sense--they've been alerting me to posts that need my attention, been helping people, and have earned the respect of their fellow members.

I honestly don't anticipate problems, and you can believe that I will not tolerate any sort of abuse of power. More than anything, I respect our members and want them to have a good experience here. I've worked too many years building the site, the forum, and the local business to let ego (that includes my own!!) get in the way.

Trust me--our visitors, our fellow forum members, and my students will be treated with respect by anybody representing TestMagic.

Thanks for your feedback, Ketan. :)

I think your idea to ask what people want in their moderators is a good one, although I suspect most people would say pretty much the same thing--someone who is fair, polite, helpful, etc.

Well, I can put forward some eligibility criterion for being a moderator

1) You need to actively contribute here on the forums

2) 24/7/365 net connect

4) Patience and an INDEPTH knowledge of the forum which takes months to

acquire (this can be quantified by something like number of posts say

1000)

5) Ability to be nice (fair, polite, helpful as Erin suggested:) )

6) Ability to get along with other moderators (absolute essential) [i have seen

bickering amongst the mods ruining the spirit of a forum]

7) Ability to visualize Erin's vision for TM (where is TM heading)

8) Have to be extremely patient (esp with newbies)

9) Must be creative in the sense of providing valuable suggestions from time

to time....(regrading everything)

10) Must be "good" (now this is relative term) in the specific sub-forum

he/she is expected to handle (say SC, RC, CR etc etc)

11) Must be available for next one year (This is because a person

entering a B-school in next 3-4 months would be a bad choice... it would

take probably 2-3 months just to "understand" the fourm and then only

you will be able to contribute)

Ketan

• Like 1

I agree with most or all of your ideas and suggestions, at least in theory. One of the problems a forum of this type faces is caused by the very nature of our visitors--they are very smart, successful, hardworking people who are in transition. Many of our most active members will likely move on to very demanding programs relatively soon and may not be able to "moderate" while they are in their respective programs. Naturally, I'd never want to impose on somebody who's studying at a very competitive school to moderate here.

I therefore believe that a "take 'em while we are lucky enough to have 'em" attitude is more in order, although I must admit that I would be very happy to have someone around for a lot longer.

I agree with most or all of your ideas and suggestions, at least in theory. One of the problems a forum of this type faces is caused by the very nature of our visitors--they are very smart, successful, hardworking people who are in transition. Many of our most active members will likely move on to very demanding programs relatively soon and may not be able to "moderate" while they are in their respective programs. Naturally, I'd never want to impose on somebody who's studying at a very competitive school to moderate here.

I therefore believe that a "take 'em while we are lucky enough to have 'em" attitude is more in order, although I must admit that I would be very happy to have someone around for a lot longer.

Erin, if its any consolidation, i've been moderating at another site for well over 1 year despite tackling numerous things (like a masters degree). i always find time. if you are still interested in my help, i would love to moderate the GRE forums, in particular the biochem subject test area where i've been hanging out the most. i have a lot of cool ideas, like adding stickies to the most FAQ, posting the most useful links, etc... give me a chance and i'll show you what i can do that section!

I appreciate your interest, and I'll keep you in mind. For now, I've chosen to start with two members who have a good, long history here. I think it'll be wise to start with a relatively small number to get a feel for how things will work out. :)

I appreciate your interest, and I'll keep you in mind. For now, I've chosen to start with two members who have a good, long history here. I think it'll be wise to start with a relatively small number to get a feel for how things will work out. :)

I'd like to know who they are just in case I need them:D

I'd like to know who they are just in case I need them:D
Thing is, I've chosen them, but they haven't chosen me. Yet, anyway. :D

Seriously, I just want to make sure everything's okay with them before we go public. I guess I'm just pretty cautious by nature. :rolleyes:

Thing is, I've chosen them, but they haven't chosen me. Yet, anyway. :D

Seriously, I just want to make sure everything's okay with them before we go public. I guess I'm just pretty cautious by nature. :rolleyes:

do you mean you will only have 2 moderators to moderate all your forums? you should spread it out to those who know more about one topic over another. take a look at http://www.studentdoctor.net they have different moderators for different forums..and it works beautifully for them.

just helping you ease your relunctance...;). i'm not telling you what to do, this is your site, but remember moderators don't have to have full access ... just enough to add stickies to their forum...at least that's my goal with the biochem gre subject forum. there are so much info buried in that forum, that i like to stick certain ones to the top that will be useful for future test takers....anyhow.

• 1 month later...

yeah we seriously need moderator... plus we also need an interaction arena where somebody can send the kind of mistake he/she or somebody else has done so that it makes the work of moderaor easy.. by mistake i have posted in GMAT AWA instead of GRE.. so plz help me transfer that to GRE AWA, oreover by mistake i have posted two copies of the same issue in GRE Issue sction.. plz delete one of them.

Regards

JP

If you simply click this button http://www.www.urch.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif from a post, I'll get a message alerting me to that post. That should be quick and easy. :) I can search for the topics myself, but if you already know where they are, it would help me a bit if you reported them with the http://www.www.urch.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif button.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• Like 1