Urch Forums

why B is wrong?

Malegria

1. Since 1975 the number of women in upper-level management in American corporations have increased by 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still lag behind those of their male counterparts.

(A) have increased by 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still lag

(B) has increased by 25 percent, however much their salaries lag

© have increased 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still have lagged

(D) has increased by 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still lag

(E) have increased 25 percent; their salaries, however, still lag

I would pick D.

First the verb has to be "has" as the number is the subject. So our choices are down to B or D

In B it seems it is changing the meaning of the sentence. The expression "however much their salaries lag" means ( to me at least) that regardless of how much their salaries have lagged. This changes the meaning so i go with D.

I would pick D.

First the verb has to be "has" as the number is the subject. So our choices are down to B or D

In B it seems it is changing the meaning of the sentence. The expression "however much their salaries lag" means ( to me at least) that regardless of how much their salaries have lagged. This changes the meaning so i go with D.

I agree with 800needed

1. Since 1975 the number of women in upper-level management in American corporations have increased by 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still lag behind those of their male counterparts.

(A) have increased by 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still lag

(B) has increased by 25 percent, however much their salaries lag

© have increased 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still have lagged

(D) has increased by 25 percent; female executives’ salaries, however, still lag

(E) have increased 25 percent; their salaries, however, still lag

MY answer is to D . firsty the The number has is the right usage so option A,c,E are ruled out .

• 8 years later...