Urch Forums

LSAT anyone?

tsdvj

• 2 weeks later...

Probably more than any other section on any of these tests, the logic games/puzzles require practice to improve. The main problem most people face is not being able to solve them quickly enough. Most people say that if they have the time, they can do them.

Are you using the official LSAT material that I told you about? That's by far the best practice you can get.

Some time back, I came across a website that seemed to have been made by somebody who really knew what s/he was talking about. I believe the person's name was Robin Singh, but I can't remember the URL. I just Googled that name, and came up with this URL, but that wasn't the one I found last year:

http://www.testmasters180.com

Erin,

Thanks for the help. I am preparing from the Official LSAT tests. There are 4 games and so far, I have been able to finish only 3 games -- of those, I am able to get only 2 correct [V] I will check out that site -- Thanks, once again.

Just keep practicing. You should improve. Don't worry about the speed at first, just concentrate on getting them right.

BTW, are you drawing diagrams when you do this? Just want to make sure you are; if not, it's hard to juggle the info in your head.

Thanks Erin.

I am drawing diagrams -- I went through the material about Games in Princeton Review. I have the Kaplan book also which I intend to go through today. My games have somewhat improved , but out of around 24 questions, I get atleast 10 wrong which pulls my scaled score way down -- I checked out the testmasters site -- no info or forum is available about the techniques -- they have an extensive list of names of techniques though -- It makes me feel all the more inadequate -- I don't have well defined strategies yet :( [V] I will keep you updated with my progress.

Okay, I found the link I saw a few months ago:

http://www.powerscore.com/

Although it seems that this company is no longer associated with Robin Singh, so perhaps it's not what it used to be. Anyway, as I said, I was reading about one of the books they have for sale, and at least from the copy, it seemed to be a good book.

However, I don't really know anything about this course or their materials. Just trying to pass along a tip that might help. :)

The "Ordering games" are the ones which I tend to miss the most -- p>q t>u u>r etc.... I get somewhat lost in the sequence. I am somewhat better in the Grouping/Assignment.

I finished studying the strategies from Kaplan (I have a 1997 book, if I remember correctly) I have bookmarked some websites too - But I do not know if I will have enough time to review those -- the exam is on Saturday:o

By the way Erin, what do you mean by 3-D games? I haven't come across that term yet anywhere.......

3-D games are those that are essentially hard to draw because you can't draw them on 2-D paper. In level of difficulty, they are similar to those questions that require you to juggle information because it's hard to get them down on paper.

If you're having problems with ordering questions, try adding more information that can be applied by going one or two more steps. You could also try reversing the order. The bottom line is that you need to get as much info down as possible so that you can answer the questions accurately and quickly.

If you want, you can post some questions you're having a hard time with (in another forum, of course, and if this forum doesn't exist, I can create one), and try to show me how you're setting up the problem. Then we could look at it more closely.

Erin, I found out that part of my problem is that I don't carry the rules far enough -- I make some obvious deductions but tend not to notice the 'deeper' deductions.

Here is one I am not getting :

Exactly 8 consumers -- F,G,H,J,K,L,M and N will be interviewed by market researchers. The 8 will be divided into exactly two 4 person groups -- group 1 and 2 -- before the interviews begin. Each person is assigned to exactly one of the two groups according to the following conditions:

F must be in the same group as J

G must be in a different group from M

If H is in group 1, then L must be in group 1

If N is in group 2, then G must be in group 1.

Ques : If K is in the same group as N, which one of the following MUST be true?

1. G is in group 1

2. H is in group 2

3. J is in group 1

4. K is in group 2

5. M is in group 1.

The correct choice given is 3.

I am not able to rule out the following possibility:

group1 - KNGL group2 - HFJM

In the above case, J is not in group 1

With the LSAT on Saturday, I have a long way to go!!! [xx(] [xx(]

I keep getting answer choice #2:

K and N go together, leaving two spaces in whatever group they're in. One of the two remaining spaces is for G or M, leaving one space open. If H goes to Group 1, it will bring L with it, but since there's only one space available, it cannot go to Group 1, it must go to Group 2.

I looked at your work, and that's what I also came up with.

What is the source of this question?

Okay, let's see if #3 is indeed correct. Let's put J in Group 2:

Group 1: G/M _ _ _

Group 2: J G/M _ _

J and F must be together:

Group 1: G/M _ _ _

Group 2: J F G/M _

K and N must be together, and there's only one space left in Group 2, so they must go in Group 1:

Group 1: K N G/M _

Group 2: J F G/M _

If H is in Group 1, L must be, too, and there's only one spot left in Group 1, so H must go in Group 2:

Group 1: K N G/M _

Group 2: J F H G/M

There's only one spot left for L in Group 1:

Group 1: K N L G/M

Group 2: J F H G/M

So, if J is in Group 2, we have two results:

Group 1: K N L G

Group 2: J F H M

or

Group 1: K N L M

Group 2: J F H G

So J can go into Group 2. Again, I'm getting answer choice #2.

Can you please check your answer? Also, what page # is this question on, and what is the test administration date?

Erin,

I took my LSAT on Feb 8. I was comfortable with RC and CR, but I could satisfactorily cover only 2 out of the 4 problems in Games. I have got some questions in the other 2 and guessed on the others. There were only 22 questions (normal expected is a 24 atleast). I am not very happy with the Games performance. :( I will let you know my scores.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think whatever practice I had did help with my games. I should have just put in more time (which I did not [V] ) Thanks for all your help.