• Replies 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hermione

• manwiththemission2005

• cridamour

• arjensteve

Lithuania is doing well at the Olympics!

Did anyone see Thorpe vs Phelps vs Hoogenband vs Hackett? Man, what a race!

100 Freestyle tomorrow - Go Popov!!!!

oh yeah i saw it. was rooting for 'thorpedo' the whole time :D

also, witnessed the US basketball team loose to peurto-rico.. also, witnessed the womens volleyball team loose to china :)

Lithuania is doing well at the Olympics!

It's not... :( We should have at least 2 medals, but have 0.... And almost lost basketball match for Angola.... Now it's 10 minutes as basketball team plays with Puerto Rico.... And there is no way I can see it... Ech...

also, witnessed the US basketball team loose to peurto-rico..

I witnessed the US team's press conference after this match! Ouch!

..and China's women's hockey team plays better than my country's men's team :eek:

Lithuania has a good swimming team, though they haven't won a medal yet

The U.S. doesn't seem to be doing that well this year, huh?

Too much pressure is being put on the TEENAGER Michael Phelps. He's done well, but "Mark Spitz well", give me a break!

The U.S. press has been publicizing him to no end for a few months now--predicting that he may overtake Mark Spitz for gold medals won.

Poor guy--19 years old and feeling like a failure for winning the gold!! :(

The U.S. doesn't seem to be doing that well this year, huh?

Too much pressure is being put on the TEENAGER Michael Phelps. He's done well, but "Mark Spitz well", give me a break!

The U.S. press has been publicizing him to no end for a few months now--predicting that he may overtake Mark Spitz for gold medals won.

Poor guy--19 years old and feeling like a failure for winning the gold!! :(

I agree... It's too much presure on teenagers... Everything that media knows is victory. Nothing else matters. Not gold - trash. Scary... And I somehow feel that americans are too proud. Winning a medal in my country is a festival, feast, joy... And here it's duty.

Renata

I'm sure America is proud of Phelp's four gold medals.

I still feel US sports-culture is the best in the world. These guys play sports because they love sports (unlike in some countries where you don't have a choice), study in good universities and are suitably (and highly) rewarded for their success in terms of endorsements, recognition, etc.

In India, nothing counts more than education. Nobody is willing to dedicate their lives to sports because sportsmen here are the most poorly paid segement of society. We churn up more rote-learned automatons than any other country, but only a precious few sportsmen. Sorry state of affairs :(

Watching the Olympics and tweaking the forums. :)

I've just added a spoiler tag, which you can use to hide text in your posts. Most boards use the spoiler tags to hide endings to movies and the like, but we can use it here to hide answers.

To use it, just click this button: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/images/editor/spoiler.gif

Here's an example:

Look how I've hidden this text!

(Move your cursor over the black box. ;) )

coooolllllllllllllll !!!

lemme try some icons in the spoiler

:D

The spoiler is coded so that text is the same color as the background until you mouse over it, when the text turns white.

So it works only with text. Actually, I've never seen a spoiler that could hide images and text at the same time. Anyway, for our test prep forum, it should be fine, right? :D

You don't see the button? Are you using the WYSIWYG editor?

WOw! It would be neater if the word 'spoiler' didnt show up. People would be taken by surprise:) and would have to move the mouse all over the place to make sure they didnt miss anything:)

eagle,

Good point.

But strangers might need some guidance. Could the word 'spoiler' be replaced by 'mouse over' or something like that?

Michael

It's easy to change to whatever text works best. Thing is, "spoiler" is the most-used wording used on other forums, so I thought it'd be best to try to adhere to some kind of standard.

And "mouse over" is kind of techy sounding, don't you think? (That's the name of the code, in fact.) I could write "Move your mouse over this box," or something like that, but that'd take up too much space.

Anyway, I hope our users use the spoiler for the test questions. :)

It's easy to change to whatever text works best. Thing is, "spoiler" is the most-used wording used on other forums, so I thought it'd be best to try to adhere to some kind of standard.

And "mouse over" is kind of techy sounding, don't you think? (That's the name of the code, in fact.) I could write "Move your mouse over this box," or something like that, but that'd take up too much space.

Anyway, I hope our users use the spoiler for the test questions. :)

Erin,

I'd never heard of 'spoiler' before, except on cars and planes. 'Mouse over' is more descriptive perhaps, 'cursor over' more accurate, 'answer' less techy, or 'reveal'. Any more ideas?

At least we're spinning this thread out. About time we heard from EEPHDWANNABE isn't it?

Michael

I looked up the meaning of SPOILER in the dictionary - just like that- and saw this!

SPOILER

n. [usenet] 1. A remark which reveals important plot

elements from books or movies, thus denying the reader (of the

article) the proper suspense when reading the book or watching the

movie. 2. Any remark which telegraphs the solution of a problem or

puzzle, thus denying the reader the pleasure of working out the

correct answer (see also interesting). Either sense readily forms

compounds like `total spoiler', `quasi-spoiler' and even

`pseudo-spoiler'.

By convention, articles which are spoilers in either sense should

contain the word `spoiler' in the Subject: line, or guarantee via

various tricks that the answer appears only after several

screens-full of warning, or conceal the sensitive information via

rot13, spoiler space or some combination of these techniques.