Urch Forums

which schools should to target??

anuj_pulstya

Hi all,

Here's a brief abt myself:

GMAT-yet to take..expecting 680+

WE + education: BE (Computer Sc); GPA:3.5; 1 year after my undergrad in a leading telecom company;did my MS in Computers from USC (CGPA:3.43);screwed in one course with C- ; rest are 4 A's ,1 A-, 1 B+ and 2 B's. At USC the credits are not given if you score less than C, so my GPA for the 27 credits I got for my MS rises to 3.6....done research work at Center for Software Engg....worked for 6 months in Los Angeles with a small government IT services firm... then had to come back home...joined a leading software company but again had to leave after 6 months...currently working with world's 3rd best IT services firm leading around 6 software business critical applications...total work ex will be ~3 years by Fall'06

Extra curricular: actively involved in cultural activities during undergrad and also an active participant at USC...can get a impressive reco from my current organisation and from my undergrad college and other good recos from the Project Leader from my previous employer in LA and also from my peers that are well placed with companies like Deloitte now....also done some work for Rotary and a blind girls school here ...

target schools: Stern (NYU), Cornell, Wharton, Tuck, Columbia...

One additional thing, i am applying alongwith my wife.. she will be having 5 yrs work ex by Fall 06 ..she is a BE in computer Science at a leading telecom company at a managerial position...and has some good Wow factors in her profile...

Is it advisable that we apply as a couple rather than as individuals and are we targeting the right schools as per our profiles? If not, pls guide us on what schools will be good with our profile... tuition fees is not an issue and i can fund my studies completely.....

I will really appreciate your advice,.

Thanks

Being Indian and IT are bad combo. since the pool is way over crowded. You need a 700+ score to be avg in the indian pool. but GMAT is not the only thing and your GPA is good. Don't worry some C+ in one class etc.... You should more worry about other personal attributes.

As for partner applying, I will say go for it and mention it on the app. I have seen couple attending Bschool together(at wharton, that is). Bschool will try to get you both in since yeild rate will be higher but in cases where they couldn't, your app will be viewed individually.

It depends on your GMAT and I will put Chicago, Hass on the list as well.

In term of extra curr. you need some more recent one or some sort of hobbies for you to stand out. i.e. I am a belly dancer....

Again, try to talk less about engineering as your pool are filled up with engineers.