Urch Forums

A question from Barrons

arti

This is a question from Barrons. In Motor City 90% of the population own a car. 15% own a motorcycle, and everybody owns one or the other or both. What is the percentage of motorcycle owners who own cars? A. 5% B 15% C 33 1/3 % D 50% E 90% ANSWER C The solution of the prob goes like this........ You want to know the ratio of the percentage who own both a car and a motorcycle to the percentage who own a motorcycle. Now the calculation is : % with both car and motorcycle = 5% % motorcycle = 15% now 5/15 = 1/3 = 33 1/3 % Hence C is the answer. What i want to ask is........Here we are supposed to find the percentage of motorcycle owners who own cars i.e. %age of people with both car & motorcycle. No ratios are asked. But it is calculated in the answer. According to me the answer should be A. pls. help. Arti Arti Gupta

[quote] The solution of the prob goes like this........ You want to know the ratio of the percentage who own both a car and a motorcycle to the percentage who own a motorcycle. Now the calculation is : % with both car and motorcycle = 5% % motorcycle = 15% now 5/15 = 1/3 = 33 1/3 % Hence C is the answer. What i want to ask is........Here we are supposed to find the percentage of motorcycle owners who own cars i.e. %age of people with both car & motorcycle. No ratios are asked. But it is calculated in the answer. [/quote] Hi, Arti In the question, it asked [u]What is the percentage of motorcycle owners who own cars?[/u]. In other words how many motorcycle/car owners out of all motorcycle owners, and the ratio is 5%/15% = 33.3% HTH Lee Shi

• 4 weeks later...
In Motor City 90% of the population own a car. 15% own a motorcycle, and everybody owns one or the other or both. What is the percentage of motorcycle owners who own cars? A. 5% B 15% C 33 1/3 % D 50% E 90% ANSWER C Arti How did you calculate that % with both car and motorcycle = 5%.

In Motor City 90% of the population own a car. 15% own a motorcycle, and everybody owns one or the other or both. What is the percentage of motorcycle owners who own cars? A. 5% B 15% C 33 1/3 % D 50% E 90% ANSWER C Arti How did you calculate that % with both car and motorcycle = 5%.

Hi Isha, Hope my explanation helps ... %people who own cars = 90% (say, set A) %people who own bikes = 15% (say, set B) %people who own either a car [b]or[/b] a bike = 100% (A [i]Union[/i] B) (since, every person has either a car [b]or[/b] bike or both) %people who own a car [b]and[/b] a bike = A [i]intersection[/i] B = (A + B) - (A [i]Union[/i] B) = 90% + 15% - 100% = 5% Drawing a [i]Venn Diagram[/i] might help you visualize it better. Raghuveer.

• 4 years later...