Urch Forums

1 Q: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi

davvy

The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of south west, in measuring the movements of the sun and moon is evidenced not only at chaco canyon but at number of other sites .

a in measuring the movements of the sun and moon is evidenced not only at

b in measuring the movements of the sun and moon are evidenced not only at

c in measuring the movements of the sun and moon is evidenced at not only

d to measure the movements of the sun and moon is evidenced at not only

e to measure the movements of the sun and moon are evidenced not only at

answer is b. what's wrong with e? I mean why the preference of "in measuring" over "to measure"

Also, is "are" preferred over "is" because skill and precision both call for plural verb or is it because of something else?

please explain erin.

Idiom: skill in doing something.

We don't say Her skill to teach, do we? Doesn't Her skill in teaching sound much better?

And yes, we need a plural verb because we have a plural subject. In general, different/separate subjects joined by and always create a plural subject.

HTH!

• 3 years later...

I choose A. I read some where in the grammar book sompund additive subject take singular verbs

ex. the extent and severity of the problem is worse than we could have predicted.

can some one explain how can i figure if it compund additive subjects or It is conjuction " and", which takes plural verb.

• 6 years later...
I choose A. I read some where in the grammar book sompund additive subject take singular verbs

ex. the extent and severity of the problem is worse than we could have predicted.

can some one explain how can i figure if it compund additive subjects or It is conjuction " and", which takes plural verb.

I know this a very old thread.. but I've the same doubt. Not sure from where to get the answer to this? It would be great if the experts could reply to this.

Thanks.