Urch Forums

NBCOT OTR - Occupational Therapy Registered Exam

otr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kavita,I am tried too by giving all these english exams.I am in the same boat as u.I gave CBT toefl last year then was stuck with TSE till the end.Now i am planning to give IBT toefl.Give me ur mail id if possible.

I booked my ibt toefl on 26th aug and now they rescheduled the exam on sept 23rd due to technical problem.Its frustating.I know it happened with soumaya too.

Best luck to All.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

long time since i visit the site again. Anyway, took the exam last july and fortunately, i passed it. THANK GOD!!!

The reviwers i used were Cottrell (old edition, copyright 2002), sladyk (again, old edition) and johnson (as you have predicted..... old edition).

I reviewed for a month and the first two weeks I devoted it to cottrell. the third week and fourth is for the johnson and sladyk. I did not memorize as what my friend had said. I just tried to understand what the really is the question of the question in the reviewer and after answering the review exam I make it a point to read the explanation and really understood why it was the answer. Also, i also tried to understand why the other answers in the multiple choice are not the answers.

I hope this help to those who are planning to take the exam. Best of luck!! and most of all MAY GOD BLESS YOU!!!

• 1 month later...

hello mel and angel_sam!

this is joan alapide, a new member of testmagic. i currently work at a media industry but is also recruiting possible OTs who would want to work in the US. my cousin (who is an OT in Chicago) is recruiting fellow filipinos to work in their state. i'm helping him out in recruiting.

regarding this, can i ask for a favor? i'm very sorry for the bother but i just wanted to ask help for information on the location of the testing centers for NBCOT exam here in manila, philippines.

i just wanted to ask what testing center did you took the NBCOT exam here in the Philippines last July 2006, its location and what is its contact number? i plan to go there this coming Saturday (October 28, 2006) kasi to handout OT brochures to the examinees since the NBCOT exam will again be held that day.

please reply to my email ASAP at piccadilly25@yahoo.com or jaalapide@gmanetwork.com. you can also text me at 09192197807 or call me at 9424084. i'll wait for your reply.

if you're also interested to apply for a job in the US, feel free to contact me as well.

thank you so much mel and angel_sam!!! i really would appreciate your great help on the information on the testing center. thank you so much!!!

joan =)

• 1 month later...

hi jyo....i also faced the same problem...when every document from my end was complete ...nbcot asked me to submit acvf and it took me more than one month to arrange for this..as i also stay in US..

so now my file is complete... but i really dont know why they tell later..when everything is completed

• 2 weeks later...

gemina, there is certification examination alert posted at nbcot website saying there'll be an examination blackout period from December 20, 2006 - January 3, 2007. No online exam application or pending applications will be processed during this annual system maintenance period, however, hard copy paper applications will be accepted. Examination testing for 2006 will end on December 21st and resume on January 3, 2007.

maybe thats the reason why its hard to contact anybody from NBCOT office. I think, if you passed iBT before the end of this year,they will consider your application...you can try to call them if you live in US, take a chance. i might be doing the same thing if im in your shoes..but if not, you just need to wait..goodluck to us all..i hope this info will help you. Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the info....I really appreciate it. I'm here in the US and I've been trying to call them since yesterday but it was just going straight to their voicemail.. I tried to email them same thing no response at all. If they are accepting hard copy of application, do you think a check of $75 to activate my file , letter, & the copy of ibt score will be a great help to my problem as of this moment. this are all the things that they need to process my application. Coz in the website they set a deadline this month until Dec. 31, 2006.:rolleyes:

gemina, there is certification examination alert posted at nbcot website saying there'll be an examination blackout period from December 20, 2006 - January 3, 2007. No online exam application or pending applications will be processed during this annual system maintenance period, however, hard copy paper applications will be accepted. Examination testing for 2006 will end on December 21st and resume on January 3, 2007.

maybe thats the reason why its hard to contact anybody from NBCOT office. I think, if you passed iBT before the end of this year,they will consider your application...you can try to call them if you live in US, take a chance. i might be doing the same thing if im in your shoes..but if not, you just need to wait..goodluck to us all..i hope this info will help you. Merry Christmas!

Ladies, The NBCOT is closed until Jan 3. I had called them earlier with the number posted on their web site around the 16, 17th and they were taking calls and mentioned that they will be off from the 21st. As regards the text books Rita Cotrell, Caryn Johnson and Slaydek are the ones I used to prepare. I thought I would sit down plan and take the test but could not do so and went heads on with the study guides going chapter by chapter from Cotrell. Taking the simulated tests helps to focus on areas that need review. Taking all the tests from these books help to understand the test questions and answer the best possible answer. Some (

arthritis OA, RA, fractures. Learn about the types of groups for different conditions. couple of questions on wheel chair measurements, adaptations for geriatric population, ADA. Hope this helps!

Congratulations!!! both of you.

born77,

when did u took ur otr?

bye enjoy ur christmas!!!

Happy holidays to all O.Tist.

bye-

i passed my OTR exam . Thanks God for granting the desires of my heart.

To those who are planning to take the OTR exam

i read cotrell,pedretti,sladyk,anderson and johnson.case n smith..

Good luck to all !

Hello again!

I have been getting mails from some of you regarding books, and strategies so I thought I will post it here for the benefit of anyone who might need

Books - Latest editions of Caryn Johnson, Rita Cotrell, and Karen Slaydek. They come with computer disks and simulated examinations

Planned to take the exam after 6 months of study but did not work that way. Kept on postponing till I woke up to take 3 weeks off from work and study and give exam. Read Rita Cotrell chapter by chapter based on the important chapters first (Human Aging, Neuro, Splints, Wheel chair) and taking notes. Every night did 50 questions from the simulated exams from Slaydek and Cotrell. Performed pretty poor initially( dont let that slow you down!) and went back and reviewed the weak areas. By the end of 2nd week somehow got the essence of how to read the questions and answer and also get the important facts that are repetitive. Third week stopped all studying (covered only 75%!) and did Caryn Johnson and reviewed the areas. Took the exam and got a pretty good score. NBCOT questions were always focussed on the BEST, MOST, FIRST in the questions so be on the watch! to read the questions. These tests prepare for that. Also remember the scoring is scaled which means the majority of those who answered get the highest score so the probability of us passing with our knowledge is high! Hope this helps for preparing the tests and taking it. Good Luck

for how much you are saling Johnson and sladyk

Planned to take the exam after 6 months of study but did not work that way. Kept on postponing till I woke up to take 3 weeks off from work and study and give exam. Read Rita Cotrell chapter by chapter based on the important chapters first (Human Aging, Neuro, Splints, Wheel chair) and taking notes. Every night did 50 questions from the simulated exams from Slaydek and Cotrell. Performed pretty poor initially( dont let that slow you down!) and went back and reviewed the weak areas. By the end of 2nd week somehow got the essence of how to read the questions and answer and also get the important facts that are repetitive. Third week stopped all studying (covered only 75%!) and did Caryn Johnson and reviewed the areas. Took the exam and got a pretty good score. NBCOT questions were always focussed on the BEST, MOST, FIRST in the questions so be on the watch! to read the questions. These tests prepare for that. Also remember the scoring is scaled which means the majority of those who answered get the highest score so the probability of us passing with our knowledge is high! Hope this helps for preparing the tests and taking it. Good Luck

hello

when you are taking ur exam?

I've been trying to call NBCOT to reactivate my prescreening packet but it's

hard and I also want to inform them that I finally passed the speaking part in ibt so pls anybody there that would help me. I'm hoping that I'm not that late...:(

I bought 2 text books 3 weeks before I took the exam and Johnson 4 days before the exam. All of them are in brand new condition and I did not highlight/mark on them! I plan to sell them on ebay 15-25% less than the cost price. All of them are in excellent condition and are the latest editions with CD roms

thanks for all of your advice. I got an email from Lilia Gil saying that I have until Dec 31, 2007 to pass the test. Thank God...I'm in and completely relieved by all the worries...I have question to you guys what do I need to do? the next step...how to get that ATT... to schedule a test...I haven't talk to her do I need to email her back to directions on what to do?

Gemina

Hi Gemina, At this stage, you can file an online application if you are here in U.S and have cleared your eligibility criteria and can register for otr exam online...so after you register for otr....you will be emailed your ATT most probably in 15-20 days..as I got....and after you have ATT in your hand ...you can schedule your otr at prometric test center ....that is what I know from my experience..hope it helps

thanks for all of your advice. I got an email from Lilia Gil saying that I have until Dec 31, 2007 to pass the test. Thank God...I'm in and completely relieved by all the worries...I have question to you guys what do I need to do? the next step...how to get that ATT... to schedule a test...I haven't talk to her do I need to email her back to directions on what to do?

Gemina

did you pass ibt ?

Gemina