Urch Forums

Hard relationship, easy (relatively) vocab!! #001

Erin

Hey guys!

You know, it's easy to post an analogy with hard vocab that not many people can answer; you can find these questions all over the place.

What I like to do sometimes, to "force" people to focus ONLY on the relationship and NOT on the vocab, is make a difficult analogy that is difficult because of the relationship, and NOT because of the vocab.

These questions are hard to write, so I only have a few. Take a look at this one, and let me know what you think.

I'm trying very hard to create a great place for people all over the world to come to study, and I hope that you will take the time to register and post questions and answers. Therefore, I will wait a little while before I post the answer, in hope that some of you will register and post your answers and the reason(s) you chose that answer.

So, here's the analogy:

TIRE : RUBBER

O fork : metal

O tree : wood

O glass : silica

O candle : wax

O pottery : clay

Hope you like this question and find it helpful!

Erin

Erin Billy

TestMagic.com

San Francisco, CA USA

Nice analogy really got confused

I go for D:

Tire is made up of Rubber which gives it resilient characterstic for its intended use

Candle is made up of Wax which gives it resilient characteristic for its intended use.

thanx

kaushik

Hi to Erin and to all those who have posted a question,

Those were some terrific analogies. They kept me thinking for sometime. Would you be kind enough to post some more analogies for us to practice?

But I still have one doubt...

I did choose Candle:Wax but i still have this fork:metal in my mind. What is the primary disctinction?

Choosing an answer primarily depends on how I build a bridge... Your bridge is what I chose in the beginning but what if i had chosen: "Tire is made of only rubber and nothing else", "Fork is made of only metal and nothing else" but "Candle is made of wax and nothing else"? Where did the wick go? In that case, as far as purity is concerned, fork:metal would seem more appropriate... And also, like many different types of metal, there are different types of wax too... This is the doubt lurking in my mind. I'm not trying to argue as to why the answer is the answer that was chosen but I'm just trying to learn what not to do in analogies.

I mean, there could be several bridges sometimes which seem correct to some and several other that seem correct to some other. In that case, people end up with their own answers with valid arguements. How do I choose a unique answer? Please Help...

• 2 weeks later...

Good Ones!

Here are some that really baffled me -

CURTAIN : STAGE

A) lid : pan

B) veil : face

C) tarpaulin : car

D) hair : head

E) satchel : book

BLOW : HORN

A) inflate : tyre

B) turn on : light

C) scan : map

D) tune : radio

E) accelerate : engine

Answer Key :

B, B

• 4 months later...
Good Ones!

Here are some that really baffled me -

BLOW : HORN

A) inflate : tyre

B) turn on : light

C) scan : map

D) tune : radio

E) accelerate : engine

Answer Key :

B, B

may i know a good reason for the correct choice to be 'B'? i was thinking 'D'. blow:horn & tune:radio. here horn and radio is related with sound. nybody nything?

Kudos for hosting such an excellent forum!!!!:tup:

Also this thread is excellent!!!!!!

will try posting a few...

I need a some advice from you on how do I master the verbal section for GRE; I scored only 560 in my diagnostic ( Barron's) and im aimong for 600+

I know rote learning does little help but with just 2-3 mnths in hand how do i tackle this monster??:eek:

wonder why at all ETS would want us to know such high flown words when most of the time we use technical jargon while working/studyin.........:hmm:

2-3 months is enough time to go through this lexicons.

wel go though some flash cards. And after looking to your vocab flown,jargon I dont think you will take more time than 2 months for getting supposed mastery in words. Revise them as many times as you can. keep them to be connected with you and alway dwelling in that is a good thing to do although it is herculean task with a proper management of work can give you the feeling of triumph.

all the best.