Urch Forums

Please Grade My Essay: Overrated/Underrated by others - which is better?

Codename Gordon

It is better to be underrated by people than to be overrated by them.

Each and every person has to conform to certain expectations expressed from the people around him. When these people overestimate you, you are in danger of letting them down. It is better to be underestimated by people so that you always have something to surprise them with.

Overestimation of a person's skills could prove to be very misleading. The usual consequence of such an attitude is disappointment. Recently, a friend of mine sat for the TOEFL examination. I was aware of his eagerness and diligence and expected him to wind up with a magnificent result. I was just about to tell everyone I knew about how well he will do when my friend phoned me and stated that he had only 260 out of 300 points. It was then I realized how misleading and disappointing one's high expectations can be.

When people underestimate you, you have nothing to lose. On the contrary, you are actuated to prove that the opinions of others are amiss. I will never forget the summer of 2001 when I was preparing to take the Cambridge FCE. I was at the age of 12 and everyone around me was constantly inferring that I could never pass such a complicated test. Others' statements only had a positive influence on my preparation. I was more stimulated and industrious than ever before and finally scored a B on the test. Everybody was baffled. Perhaps I wouldn't have had such a good result if it hadn't been for the others' underestimation.

Overestimation can be very harmful for one's reputation. However, when one is underestimated, one becomes determined to prove others wrong and to reveal one's full potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Codename, that's a nice essay, but it's too short (i.e., it's undeveloped); you should try for two long body paragraphs or three shorter ones. I like your examples, but they are too similar since you talk about standardized tests in both.

This is about a high 3 or low 4 essay.

Keep trying!

• 2 years later...