Urch Forums

Although many brands of gasoline are sold on Haibei island

VIK32

Although many brands of gasoline are sold on Haibei island, gasoline companies there get all of the refined gasoline they sell from Haibei seaport’s only storage tank, which is always refilled with the same quality of gasoline. Therefore, the brands of gasoline for sale on Haibei may be different in name and price, but there are identical in quality.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?

a) Consumers are usually unaware of variations in the quality of the gasoline they buy unless those variations are announced by the gasoline companies.

b) When tankers make gasoline delivery at Haibei’s seaport, the storage tank an Haibei always receives the same quality of gasoline as that in the preceding delivery.

c) There is a wide variation in the price at which the deferent brands of gasoline on Haibei are sold.

d) If any gasoline company on Haibei alters the quality of its gasoline before sale, the other gasoline companies also use method before sale that result in the same change in the quality of their gasoline.

e) The gasoline storage tank on Haibei’s large enough to meet the needs of all of Haibei’s different gasoline companies.

I go with D

Logic:- the conclusion states that “the brands of gasoline for sale on Haibei may be different in name and price, but there are identical in quality”

That has assumptiom that they deploy methods before sale that make quality same. However , the method to achieve same quaulity may be different that is why price is different and hence the name. ( after all they are getting same quality oil form single storage tank ===> then why price is different and quality is same . If we add the step D and the logic given then price may different because of differential cost of achieving same quality before sale)

D states the same logic

I do not have an OA . Anyone has then pls post

Debarshi, I thought about B too, but the stimulus says -

"...Haibei seaport’s only storage tank, which is always refilled with the same quality of gasoline." It tells you it's always the same, so that makes B a repeat of the premise. (unless it means it's the same EACH given time but what we get this time may be different from next time...i'm not sure)

So D is probably the best, but not ideal.

I will go with B.

See the problem as i see it with D is....

d) If any gasoline company on Haibei alters the quality of its gasoline before sale, the other gasoline companies also use method before sale that result in the same change in the quality of their gasoline.

This means that the gasoline quantity does change but its the same at a given point of time. This cannot be the case as it means that all the companies finish their inventory together.

B on the other hand is the clear assumption upon which the stimulus is based. It receives the same quality of gasoline as the preceding delivery. Thus a uniform quality is maintained.

Question is this :-

Same quality oil is received in the tanker ===== at the end gas station (read) quality is same but price is different and brand name

If we think quality throughout from storage tank to gas station is same for all then why price for sale is different?

An assumption should justify the conclusion.

What B is saying " gasoline delivery at Haibei’s seaport, the storage tank an Haibei always receives the same quality of gasoline as that in the preceding delivery."

Okay that is fine that quality on say x day is same as y day or on all delivery ====> then can this defend conclusion that why "the brands of gasoline for sale on Haibei may be different in name and price" ( one assumption can be with same quality may be transportation cost -- but is not there in answer list)

I think D takes further that all brand use some method that in the end make quality for sale same but price is different because of different methods --- differential cost( you can see in D-- the other gasoline companies also use method). In D that is why it said use method -- some method. If D stated same method then it could not be assumption.

• 15 years later...
On 11/12/2006 at 7:09 PM, animesh said:

I will go with B.

See the problem as i see it with D is....

This means that the gasoline quantity does change but its the same at a given point of time. This cannot be the case as it means that all the companies finish their inventory together.

B on the other hand is the clear assumption upon which the stimulus is based. It receives the same quality of gasoline as the preceding delivery. Thus a uniform quality is maintained.

I also chose B, but D is the correct answer. 

On 11/11/2006 at 10:23 AM, VIK32 said:

Although many brands of gasoline are sold on Haibei island, gasoline companies there get all of the refined gasoline they sell from Haibei seaport’s only storage tank, which is always refilled with the same quality of gasoline. Therefore, the brands of gasoline for sale on Haibei may be different in name and price, but there are identical in quality.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?

a) Consumers are usually unaware of variations in the quality of the gasoline they buy unless those variations are announced by the gasoline companies.

b) When tankers make gasoline delivery at Haibei’s seaport, the storage tank an Haibei always receives the same quality of gasoline as that in the preceding delivery.

c) There is a wide variation in the price at which the deferent brands of gasoline on Haibei are sold.

e) The gasoline storage tank on Haibei’s large enough to meet the needs of all of Haibei’s different gasoline companies.

I go with D

Logic:- the conclusion states that “the brands of gasoline for sale on Haibei may be different in name and price, but there are identical in quality”

That has assumptiom that they deploy methods before sale that make quality same. However , the method to achieve same quaulity may be different that is why price is different and hence the name. ( after all they are getting same quality oil form single storage tank ===> then why price is different and quality is same . If we add the step D and the logic given then price may different because of differential cost of achieving same quality before sale)

D states the same logic

I do not have an OA . Anyone has then pls post

The premise: companies get all from the only storage tank which is always refilled with the same quality of gasoline

Conclusion: Different brand and prices, but identical in (same) quality

B make a lot more sense. haha IF I negated B: When tankers make gasoline delivery at Haibei's seaport, the storage tank at H not always receives the same quality of gasoline as that in the preceding delivery. It's invalidated.

However, after I saw price may different because of differential cost of achieving same quality before sale.  Thank you.