Urch Forums

GRE vs. GMAT

WallStGolfer31

From what I have heard about the comparisons of the two tests, they are supposed to be fairly similar.

The difference I've been informed about is the difference in relative difficulty of GMAT math section compared to the GRE math section. I have also heard that the GRE verbal is quite a bit harder than the GMAT verbal section as well.

Does anyone have any other differences they'd like to discuss? I'd be very interested, because I will be taking both.

• 4 months later...

...The difference I've been informed about is the difference in relative difficulty of GMAT math section compared to the GRE math section...

Hey WallStGolfer31 (or anyone),

Which exam/test exactly are you saying has the more difficult math section? I'm kinda reading it to mean GMAT, but I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 years later...

• One small difference between GRE and GMAT, which would matter to most of the students, is the cost. The cost for taking the GRE exam is $195, whereas for the GMAT it is $250. Though $55 dollars doesn’t make much of a difference, most of you might prefer taking the exam again if your scores weren’t up to the mark. This means you can save around $110 dollars if you’re taking the GRE.
  • After taking the GRE, you have a lot of options. With a GRE score, you can apply for MS courses, MBA and PhD. Whereas GMAT is limited to business schools. Nowadays many potential MBA grads prefer taking the GRE instead of the GMAT.
  • If you’re taking the GRE, you would find the quant part to be much easier than the GMAT. GMAT math is comparatively harder because all the top business schools require graduates with strong mathematical skills.
  • In GRE, you can skip questions and move forward. Later, you can answers questions which you left unanswered. This allows you to manage time efficiently and also helps you take the test without any confusion. In GMAT, you cannot skip questions. This creates trouble while taking the exam.
  • The emphasis on Grammar and Logical arguments is less in GRE. GRE stresses on vocabulary, whereas GMAT stresses on grammar and reasoning. GRE allows you to use the online calculator, whereas GMAT doesn’t allow you.
  • One biggest advantage of GRE is that, there is no Integrated Reasoning section. The section combines the difficult parts of verbal and quant. You can escape from the 12 questions if you’re taking the GRE.
  • GRE is also held at more centers compared to the GMAT. If you’re taking the GRE, you need to be good at number sense and number manipulation. GMAT follows a focused approach towards problems.

• 2 months later...
This is really a good comparison. But B schools ask for only GMAT score. Also even though I was thinking of taking GRE next time, the fact that IR Is not there in GRE is not good for me. Because I had scored well in IR section in my GMAT.