Urch Forums

Okay, I'm starting to get nervous....has anyone heard anything yet?

saramari

I haven't heard anything yet!! But I'm definitely starting to obsess too. I've been working on FAFSA - we have to figure out our 2006 tax stuff to fill out FAFSA, so I'm thinking about that as busy work to do in the meantime, to keep me from dwelling on what schools might accept me, etc. :):):)

My friend Peter went through this process last year (applied to PhD English programs) and said he didn't hear anything until *late* March. He didn't apply to as many schools as me, but still - LATE March?? Gahh. I swear most of the schools said mid-March...didn't they??

*succumbs to obsessing*

• 2 weeks later...

That website - The Grad Cafe - is poison. What I mean is, I looked at their "results" page, where people post (anonymously) the date they received notice, what it said (accept/reject/waitlist), what school, what program, etc. Many of the schools I applied to have sent out acceptance emails....and I haven't heard from them....so I got completely freaked out, assuming I have been rejected by all of those schools.

I panicked and emailed my friends who have gone through this process, asking about that website and whether it freaked them out too.

So, they didn't look at the site, and they advise against consulting such sites because they will make us CRAZY. I agree...I am trying very hard not to look. My friend Karen told me that sometimes they send acceptance letters out first to those that applied early, and are still working on the more recent (closer-to-the-deadline people like me) applications/acceptances. That made me feel better.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts. :) I think during this tough time of waiting, we all need to stay busy and do activities outside as much as possible. (away from the computer.) This is very hard for me to do, because I am so attached to my computer. But breaking away and reading outside, going for long walks, riding bikes, going skiing, etc is helping me stay calm and enjoy life.

I hope this helps!! :):):) *hugs everyone*

I know! I have been tormenting myself with The Grad Cafe over the last week. All I do all day is hit refresh, refresh, refresh...

The only school I applied to that had any results posted at The Grad Cafe was U. Mich. The acceptances went out by email on 2/19. This backhandedly indicated that I'd been rejected, and softened the blow a little when I got the official thanks-but-no-thanks letter from them yesterday in the mail. The letter said they had 350+ applicants and only 12 spots, which is pretty much what I expected. Oh well--there are others. :)

The only thing I've heard so far is an official rejection via postal from U. Michigan...other than that, NOTHING! Waiting on Boston U.'s PhD program, (assuming it's a rejection since there were a couple of admits posted on thegradcafe about a week or so ago), Ohio State's English Master's program, and several others.

I'm ready for the waiting to be over, that's for sure....

Anyone else heard anything?

I applied to 14 schools, and have been rejected by 6 of them. I am still waiting to hear from the other 8 schools. Insanity! Angst! Despair!

I am hoping and praying for Davis, Illiniois, and Rochester!! I'd be over the moon with joy, if I got into any of them. I'm especially hoping for Rochester, because its close to my parents.

Best of luck to all of us! *hugs*

I hear you- the anxiety is really overwhelming. I really did not expect it to be this difficult, and I am not sure what I will do if i don't get into any of the programs (sitill waiting to hear back from 3 schools). I thought I had a pretty solid application- I guess my thought now is do I reapply next year or call it a day and move on to developing a career elsewhere?

Me? No! I've seen like, two acceptance phone calls on two very different dates on the various grad results sites. It looks like thay are calling people they accept as they accept them, in a trickle - one at a time? I don't really know, though.

I am still waiting to hear from Brown, UPenn, UC Davis, U of Rochester, U of Illinois, and Harvard. I am hoping and praying to get in to U of Rochester!

Oh, and with Columbia - remember that you can now apply to their Masters in English for no extra fee. The due date for that is April 15th. :)

Also, for those who (like me) have not gotten any acceptances yet and are feeling bewildered, you can try calling the schools you were rejected from and asking for feedback on your application. I did this with the first few rejections I got, and it helped to have an idea of what they thought of me - they were very positive about reapplying next year, with a fresh writing sample. That might be what I have to do!

In the meantime, I do hope to get into a Masters program of some sort - there are MA programs in English with deadlines that have not passed yet. (Only a few, but hey, its better than nothing!)

Hope this helps! I feel the pain too, and it definitely is a downer - but we have to get back up and keep trying. For me, it sounds like my writing sample was too specific about critiquing one single author's model, and too law article-like. Now that I reread it from a fresh perspective, I can see what they are saying. I need to make it more like literary criticism and less like a law review article, heh! Getting a Masters will help give me the background to write a more literary writing sample, I think.

Chin up, everybody!

When I call for feedback I just call the front desk. They either (1) transfer me to the right person to ask (which is awesome), who then reads me what my file says, or they (2) give me the right person's email address, and tell me to email them, or they (3) tell me to go away. The only schools that were lame and said, "oh, we don't do that. bye" were Berkeley and Michigan. I got GREAT feedback from Emory, Columbia, and Duke. I'm waiting for a bunch of people to email me back. :)

The Masters programs with late deadlines that are coming up include: (these are schools that I also am okay with moving to) SUNY Cortland in upstate New York (half hour north of Ithaca), Sacramento State, Wake Forest(?), Northwestern, St. Bonaventure U (upsate New York), and University College Cork, which is in Cork, Ireland (where I studied abroad).

It was tiresome - I basically just browsed Masters websites and when I found a program with a deadline that hasn't passed yet, I wrote that name down...unless it was somewhere I just refuse to go to because of location. Heh. I was not systematic at all - I'm sure there are more out there. :)

Pray for me, for U of Rochester. Its my last hope, along maybe with U of Illinois. I called all my remaining schools today, and these two sound the most promising. UC Davis said that they already sent out acceptances, and now are figuring out who to put on their "pending" list.

(I'm going to post this before I accidentally delete it. My keyboard has been being weird and suddenly highlighting all the text, causing me to delete everything, gahhh!)

• 2 weeks later...