Erin

Real GMAT: 740 (Q49 V42) Sep 20

Princeton Review Paper test: 690 (Q45 V41) May

Manhattan GMAT 1: 700 (Q44 V41) August 1

Manhattan GMAT 2: 710 (Q46 V41) Aug 29

Official GMAT CAT 1: 730 (Q48 V42) Sep 6

Manhattan GMAT 3: 740 (Q47 V45) Sep 11

Official GMAT CAT 2: 760 (Q49 V45) Sep 19

I highly recommend Manhattan GMAT's prep books. I used them pretty much exclusively, and as you can see they carried me from a good score to a very good score over the course of about two months (I studied my butt off too). I did have one private tutoring session with them early on which I think was very worthwhile, setting me on the right path.

I was a little disappointed in my verbal performance on the actual GMAT, as that had been a big focus of my preparation -- knowing that a boost in verbal can have a greater impact on one's score than a boost in quant. The verbal questions themselves seemed about equally as difficult as the MGMAT and Official tests. I just evidently performed worse. One cautionary tale: since I had never had any timing issues on the verbal section, I deliberately took extra time on the verbal section to be extra careful. Unfortunately I had in my head "two minutes per problem," which as you know is about 15 seconds per question too many on the verbal section.... so I had a bit of a freakout when I realized with about 11 minutes to go that I had 8 questions to go. At that point I rushed through the next 2 or 3 questions, and although I didn't rush to the point of guessing, I may have gotten a little bit sloppier, and I think that might have dropped my score.

My recommendation: Write a time target chart out for both quant and verbal on your pad. Even if you don't think you need it, it may prove to be helpful during the test. You can even do this during the pre-test tutorial so you won't waste valuable test time.

Other impressions:

- I found the questions on the actual GMAT's quant section to be harder than the official prep tests, but very similar in difficulty to MGMAT's tests. I probably made educated guesses on 10-12 questions. As usual, I was surprised that one can miss a bunch of questions on the quant and get a high score.

- In particular, my impression was that the test was heaviest on number properties -- even/odd properties, prime factorization, exponents, inequalities, obviously with abstract algebra involved. There were relatively few questions dealing with combinatronics or geometry. I have heard this impression from others as well.

- Verbal felt similar difficulty-wise to both MGMAT and the official prep tests.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent score!

The reason you saw the math questions you did is because you were slotted in a harder bin early on. Exactly those types of questions you listed are considered difficult on the GMAT.

I can also add the Manhattan is an excellent preparation tool, highly recommended - especially their CAT tests.

farmer stan,

Did you practice with the OG11 and OG12 books? do you know if the questions are similar to these books? So i am trying to decipher which category it falls into-

Questions are similar to OG12

Questions test concepts similar to OG12

Questions test concepts similar to OG12 + Some completely new concepts?

I just did OG12 quant questions, and got a few incorrect. I am getting worried considering my exam is in 6 days.

One more question, regarding sentence correction. I have read the MGMAT SC book. However, it still get quite a few incorrect. I know the score change drastically due to verbal scores. Any advise on step by step elimination/ solving process you use will be helpful.

thx

Nothing can replace the Computer Adaptive Tests in simulating how you would do on the real GMAT. Both the Manhattan GMAT and the Official GMAT computer adaptive tests are extremely useful in figuring out where you stand. As I mentioned, my experience was that the difficulty of the MGMAT's test on the quant section more closely mimicked the difficulty of the actual test than the Official prep GMATs. If you haven't taken any of the CATs, I highly recommend taking one or two before you go.

In my experience the OG11 and OG12 both contain questions that are just as hard as the hardest GMAT problems I encountered, which makes sense considering they are questions from past GMATs. I recommend the Manhattan GMAT Official Guide Companion (quant) which will give you better explanations to the quant answers than you get from the OG itself, and also breaks out the OG problems by type and difficulty. But it's a different experience to simply see if you can get a hard question right than getting it right in two minutes or less when you have to draw diagrams and everything on your own paper, and you're feeling the seconds tick by...

MGMAT Sentence Correction is an extremely useful book. I spent hours with it, there's a ton of stuff in there that I didn't know and it paid off. It will be worth the time spent -- sentence correction and critical reasoning are the easiest verbal areas to improve in general, and a boost in verbal (more so than quant) generates a boost in your overall sore.

I studied for 60 hours in 23 days.

GMAT PREP 1 - 700 (Q 49, V 35) - day 4

GMAT PREP 2 - 730 (Q 48, V 42) - day 15

MGMAT CAT1 - 710 (Q 47, V 40) - day 15

MGMAT CAT2 - 700 (Q 46, V 39) - day 21

MGMAT CAT3 - 700 (Q 47, V 39) - day 23

ACTUAL GMAT - 750 (Q 50, V 42) - day 24

:

Awesome score.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

In this chronological order:

MGMAT 1: 700 (got lucky)

MGMAT 2: 580 (timing was way off, I had to guess on half of the questions)

Princeton 1: 560

MGMAT 3: 650

MGMAT 4: 680

MGMAT 5: 690

Princeton 2: 720

MGAMT 6: 700

GMAC 1: 710

GMAC 2: 600 (day before the exam, confidence killer)

Real Gmat Score: 650

I was extremely disappointed. After the progress I made, I managed to score only 650. I definitely deserve a higher score. My timing was way off during the exam. I was answering the questions fairly quickly for the first half of each section. This made me think I was making careless mistakes (just like I had on the last practice exam). I slowed down to double check all my answers and really fell behind. Big mistake. This meant I had to guess on the last 4-5 questions because I ran out of time.

Luckily, I still have time to take the exam one more time. I was hoping it didn't have to come to a retake, but here I am. Considering I am shooting for top 10 and top 25 in my field a 700+ is necessary.

I plan to reread the MGMAT books one more time and do the remaining 2 Princeton Review CATs. Can anyone recommend other practice exams? Redoing the MGMAT ones doesn't seem like the best use of my time.

• 1 month later...

I just retook the GMAT, about a month after my last test (see post above - I scored 6 on AWA).

I didn't do much more studying for the retake. I reread some materials and took two more Princeton Review CATs (not sure they are adaptive tests though).

Princeton 3: 650

Princeton 4: 640

REAL GMAT: 710

Finally. I would have been happy with high 600s after my first performance of 650. I did know I could do better because I faltered on the timing of my first exam - thus the retake. HINT: do not change tactics during the actual exam. If you are doing better than you think, are ahead of time or behind time, do exactly what you would have done during practice.

MGMAT was a HUGE help. If you are serious about scoring well, their books are the GMAT Bible. If anyone has questions, PM me, I'd be happy to discuss further.

• 3 weeks later...
I just retook the GMAT, about a month after my last test (see post above - I scored 6 on AWA).

I didn't do much more studying for the retake. I reread some materials and took two more Princeton Review CATs (not sure they are adaptive tests though).

Princeton 3: 650

Princeton 4: 640

REAL GMAT: 710

Finally. I would have been happy with high 600s after my first performance of 650. I did know I could do better because I faltered on the timing of my first exam - thus the retake. HINT: do not change tactics during the actual exam. If you are doing better than you think, are ahead of time or behind time, do exactly what you would have done during practice.

MGMAT was a HUGE help. If you are serious about scoring well, their books are the GMAT Bible. If anyone has questions, PM me, I'd be happy to discuss further.

Hi Longfang,

Can you please tell me which MGMAT books you referred to in your prep?

Thanks.

Priyanka

• 4 months later...

By chronological order, earliest first:

Manhattan GMAT :580 (V35, Q34)

Prep GMAT 1: 670 (V38, q44)

Kaplan Online: 670 (V29, Q41)

Newton Online: 640 (V37, Q42)

Kaplan 2: 620 (V38, Q36)

Prep GMAT: 750 (V41, Q50)

Prep GMAT: 780 (V47, Q50)

Actual exam: 710 :( (V40, Q47)

Hi Shanti,

How do you account for such a wide range in scores (580-780)? And, secondly, why were your GMAT Prep scores so inflated (750-780)? Had you seen the questions before? And finally, why did your score drop on the final exam (710)? What did you learn from taking the real exam? :) Please share!

Hi Shanti,

How do you account for such a wide range in scores (580-780)? And, secondly, why were your GMAT Prep scores so inflated (750-780)? Had you seen the questions before? And finally, why did your score drop on the final exam (710)? What did you learn from taking the real exam? :) Please share!

Hey :)

So the first score (580) I got before I did almost any review on math (since math has usually been my stronger side) and I got ridiculously low score on the math - 44%. Thats when I realized I won't be able to go by with what I remember from 7 years back and started reviewing math.

As for the GMAT Prep, I do believe the 750 was representative of what my level of preparation was, whereas in the 780 one I did encounter few questions that I had previously seen.

My score dropped to 710 because (I am ashamed to share this :blush:) I spent more than 10 minutes, maybe even 15, on the 2nd math question... Yep. I know that is the stupidest thing to do but the question seemed sooo easy but I just couldn't come up with the answer. And I couldn't get over the fact that I might get the 2nd question wrong...so I would start one strategy, then another, then go back to the first one..and you can imagine how frustrating this was :) So eventually after I went over it at home, aparentlly I did pick the right answer at the end by some weird logic of mine, but my problem was that I was confusing addition with multiplication... And trust me, I know better than that but I guess the day of the exam makes your brain come up with crazy things :)

SO what my advice would be is to relax as much as possible while taking the test. Don't let yourself get trapped in situation like this. If something seems like it easily solvable but you just don't get the answer go back to the basics and see if you are not missing something overly simple. Don't rush too much. Start rushing at the end if you have to. And also, clearly, don't get stuck on a problem as well.

Overall my opinion about the actual test:

Math - I saw quite a few PSs that I hadn't seen in the OG (I went through every single math problem in it), I think Manhattan GMAT have very thorough books on different math topics, can't promise you that it would cover it all though, I didnt have time to look at almost any other book than the OG.

The DS on the real exam was doable, with good logic and few calculations I think those were easily solvable. My problem was that apparently I was short of time, so I didnt have time to do the calculations and I kind of had to trust my logic only.

Verbal - My RC was quite easy I felt to what I had seen in the practice tests I took. Texts weren't too dry, scientific or complicated and questions were rather straightforward. (I read that RC is the only part of the test that doesnt vary between test takers - everyone gets the same questions supposedly)

SC - most of it I think was structures and idioms that are frequently tested. You can find those in shared documents here and maybe elsewhere on the web.

CR...honestly I dont remember much about those...I went through all of the ones in the OG and I dont think I saw anything that was based on much different logic on the test...Im not 100% sure thou.

If you have any other questions, let me know, I will try to help out. And do share your result as well :) Good luck!

I would like to have your views on Kaplan online test. How is the score above possible, either the total is wrong or your verbal score is less as shown. Please clarify.

I gave Kaplan online and got 640(Q47 V29), and found it much harder than GMAT or GMAT prep.

My GMAT score is 690(Q50 V32), and I am retaking it this week.

My GMATprep and other scores ranges from 710-770 except that of Kaplan.

It would be nice to have your feedback. Thanks in advance :grad:

Shanti, thanks for your detailed response. I too fall occasionally into the trap of getting stuck on a question. It's frustrating and interrupts your flow, which is just what the GMAT is trying to do...make you uncomfortable. Otherwise there would be not point in the test, and memorization of formulae and other solutions would be the only difference between test writers. I have the GMAT at the end of June. Any other words of advice before G-Day?

• 2 months later...

Real GMAT: 730 (Q50, V38)

GMAT Prep: 710 (Q50, V37), 690 (Q50, V33)

Manhattan: 700 (Q50, V35), 680 (Q49, V34), 710 (Q49, V37), 730 (Q50, V40), 730 (Q51, V38), 740 (Q51, V40)

Kaplan: 730

Knewton: 740 (Q49, V41)

• 2 months later...

I have a unique situation that might not have been addressed yet. so I have a 2.4 GPA and was not thinking of getting my masters at all, then last thursday my dad tells me that his brother, my uncle, is a dean and can get me into the Maccy program if I score 550 on the GMAT. ok, so I had 6 days to study for this test. I took prep 1 on friday (day 1) prep 1 again tuesday (day 4) and prep 2 on Wednesday (day 5). I did spend about 30hours of studying...My life was hell ha.

-GMATPrep 1 570

-GMATPrep 1 600

-GMATPrep 2 630

-*GMAT 660

I dont know if it was luck, or what...

• 1 month later...

This forum has been very helpful, thanks to everyone here!

I just got done with the real thing...

Actual 760 Q49 V46 (unofficial)

Practice Tests in order:

Kaplan CAT 1 - 760

Kaplan CAT 2 - 670

Kaplan CAT 3 - 650

GMAT Prep 1 - 750

Kaplan CAT 4 - 740

GMAT Prep 2 - 730

Kaplan tests seemed a little inconsistent, but still helpful to get the timing down. So glad to have that behind me now!

Hej Folks,

I would like to share my test experience:

640 Q42 V35 (02.11.) Manhattan (1/6)

680 Q43 V40 (05.11.) GMATPrep (1/2) 70% 89%

570 Q35 V35 (08.11.) Knewton (1/1)

540 Q36 V28 (10.11.) Princeton (1/1) AWA3 I4 A2

620 Q40 V36 (12.11.) Kaplan (1/1)

660 Q44 V36 (14.11.) Manhattan (2/6)

620 Q43 V32 (15.11.) Manhattan (3/6)

640 Q43 V34 (16.11.) Manhattan (4/6) 70% 72% 80%

690 Q44 V39 (20.11.) Manhattan (5/6) 73% 89% 91%

680 Q44 V38 (21.11.) Manhattan (6/6) 73% 85% 90%

640 Q43 V35 (24.11.) GMATPrep (2/2)

680 Q43 V40 (25.11.) Real Thing 64% 89% 85%

Bottom line: The GMAC CATs are top, and I acknowledge that I did not deserve a 700+ score.

• 2 weeks later...

Actual GMAT CAT: 570 (Q:48 , V:20) :(

GMAT Software : 590 , 610

Kaplan Tests : 620 , 630, 660, 680

MCGrawHill one paper Test: 660

got only 1 month+ practice and only at weekends... since normally need to work OT at ofc , quite bz and no time for practice.....

but i never thought i'd get this much low... shucks... so frustrated...with careless mistakes on verbal...

my target was at least 650++ ... and 99 percentile on Maths... but ended up with 48 ( 80 percentile on maths)...

Will be taking again next year... to get 700+....

Need more focus on Verbal, as soon as office workload a bit lessen and have some time for practicing....

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I need some feedback on my performance so far and what score level am I at right now and how much more can be improved?

Oct 11: Real GMAT #3: 620 (Q44, V32)

Nov 11: Real GMAT #4: 590 (Q45, V29)

Nov 11: Started taking classes from a trained GMAT tutor

Jan 12: MGMAT #1: 620 (Q47, V29)

Jan 12: MGMAT #2: 660 (Q47, V33)

Feb 12: MGMAT #3: 670 (Q47, V34)

Feb 12: MGMAT #4: 660 (Q44, V36)

Mar 12: MGMAT #5: 670 (Q46, V35)

Mar 12: GMATPrep #1: 690 (Q49, V35)

Mar 12: Kaplan CAT #1: 580 (Q42, V26)

Mar 12: Kaplan CAT #2: 570 (Q39, V30)

Apr 12: Kaplan CAT #3: 610 (Q50, V31)

Apr 12: Kaplan CAT #4: 620 (Q42, V33)

Apr 12: Veritas Free: 620 (Q47, V33)

GMAT #5 is scheduled at the end of Apr 12.

Please provide your comments/feedback/suggestions.

Thanks

• 2 years later...