Urch Forums

Practice Tests vs. Real GMAT

Erin

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest to use the original gmat book... it can be bought for about 30 bucks from amazon..

it will suffice for all your test practice needs... I have tried a lot of softwares ... kaplan, princeton, cambridge.. and have found that this is the best and gives the most convincing explanations...

i think sticking to this will help you plan out what to do and what not do for the gmat.. instead of digressing into many things

Hope this helps.

~Ravi

Hi, I found the 800score questions harder than Kaplan. Specially the ones dealing with range, stdv and median.

I got frustrated with the 800score exams because I always got a percentil of 48-52% for the math, eventhough I was doing better with kaplan. I am not sure if the way they calculate their percentile is correct.

-M

Real GMAT: 660 (Q47, V35) SO FRUSRTATED!! :( :( :(

(Actually, got so nervous that slept for only 1,5 hrs the night before the test and had 3 coffees to keep me awake during the test. So, had a problem concentrating.)

PowerPrep: 610 (Q42, V32), 770 (Q49, V48)

Kaplan: 620, 670

Crack-GMAT: 555 (Q34, V23), 670 (Q49, V31), 520 (Q36, V14), 680 (Q49, V33), 670 (Q52, V28)

800score: all above 680. Actually, the quantitative sections are SO EASY that they are no use for any serious practice.

In my opinion, the best practice tests to take are those in PowerPrep and Crack-GMAT. Unlike Kaplan, Crack-GMAT has 5 really distinct tests with not a single question repeating from test to test. Also, the quantitative section in Crack-GMAT has really good examples. So don't miss this one!

My GMAT is on 21st June and ive given 4 tests til date, please review my chance to get a 650+

2nd June : 575 ( Crack GMAT diagnostic) (Q50, V16)

10th June :510 (Q 37, V24) Princeton Review

14th June : 620 (Q 47, V28) Power Prep 1

16th June :680 ( Q 47, V 37) Princeton

please tell me, im waiting for ur replies

Hi Sanjay,

looking at ur scores, I feel that u had made a good improvement in ur score in very less tme. I can say that have a very good chance to cross 650 barrier. Gud Luck!!

Anyway yesterday i gave again GMAPrep(for last time..i hope :)) n scored ...760

I remember my diago score was arnd 550 2 months back

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello. How does the GMATPrep scoring work? I just took it recently and got 17 out of the 37 math questions wrong, yet I still got 690 on the test. The score was 41 verbal/44 quantitative. How is it possible to get so many questions wrong and still get 690? Is it because of the weighting?

Thanks!

Yes, the more hard questions you answer correct, the higher the score. You can answer many wrong, yet still do decently if you answer some hard questions correctly

All,

I've taken all the scores posted previously, and put them into a spreadsheet, with a pivot table. Take a look at the data.

Real GMAT: 660

Kaplan: 540, 550

GMATPrep: 690, 660

PR: 610, 590, 540

Obviously, the GMATPrep scores were the best indicators...as everything I had read prior to taking the test also verified for me. Kaplan scores are low for everyone...mine over 100 points lower than what I actually got on the test. My Princeton Review scores were frustrating (note the downward trend), but those were the first three practice tests I took and I was much more confident after doing the GMATPrep tests. Hope this helps...best of luck to everyone preparing for the test.

Real GMAT: 660

PR: 610, 590, 540

Kaplan: 540, 550

GMATPrep: 690, 660

My GMAT is on 13 sep

1) Gmat Prep 1 - 680 on 15 Aug (Q 50 , V 32 ) ...Need to crack RC ??????

Hey guys ...gave another grep test ... i have less than a month left and with full time job it is getting tougher )

2) Again scored 680 ( Q -47 , V 34 )but this time my incorrect ans were whooping 11 in Maths and 16 in English ...I am really down :(.....

Some how i am not convinced with the scoring algo of Gprep ...Got more score in V although i did 4 more mistakes as compared to my previous test (gprep 1)_ ...Further the number of incorrect ans are same in Both the tests for both Math and Verbal in first 15 Questions ( 4 for math each time in first 15 ques and 6-7 for english each time in first 20 )

BOB , ERIN, GSCHMILINSKY can you throw some light on the scoring algo and how accurate is this,,,,Further somebody help me on RC ( i stand no where !!!! )

Hi all,

I took the GMAT last month, got a 690. Felt like it was on the lower end of my practice test range. Have done 2000+ problems since and am feeling much better. Did the Kaplan Diagnostic last weekend, got a 710. It seems like Kaplan tends to give a lower-than-actual score. Any estimates on what I should expect? I take the GMAT again on the 23rd. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
CORRECTION OF MY PREVIOUS POST

I have picked my exam date on 25th Sep 2006

I wrote GMATprep on 13th Aug and got : 660 ( Q:50 ; V:28)

I have one months to go and I have to take my V --> 40+

I will appreciate all kind of wonderful suggestion. so please pour in....

DO GMAT SETS ( Only Verbal ) ..Your Quant is good ..

GMAT SETS Verbal is damn good ( only problen is repeat question but never mind ) ....