Practice Tests vs. Real GMAT

Erin

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Actual GMAT – 740 (Q51, V38)

ARCO's - 650 (Q 44, V 34). Old book from a public library.

PP1 - 660 (Q 48, V 32)

PP2 - 700 (Q50, V35)

Kap diag test - 600 (Q 49, V 25)

Kap CAT1 - 630 (Q 50, V 31)

Kap CAT2 - 570 (Q44, V 27)

Kap CAT3 - 610 (Q41, V33)

PR CAT1 - 650 (Q47, V34)

PR CAT2 - 660 (Q48, V34).

PR CAT3 - 670 (Q44, V39). 44 with only 3 incorrect????.

PR CAT4 - 660 (Q45 - 5 incorrect, V37 - 12 incorrect)

2 days before the GMAT

GMATPREP 1 - 710, (Q51 - 7 incorrect, V 36 - 12 incorrect)

Day before the GMAT

GMATPREP 2 - 740 (Q50 - 8 incorrect, V40 - 11 incorrect)

Kaplan (CATs from the CD):

Overall, I agree with most people that the Kaplan exams are much more difficult.

PR (online CATs):

I found the scoring algorithm for Quant to be random. In CAT2: I turned the score tracker feature on. I was at 50 in Q and PR’s answer to one question (around 30th) was incorrect. After that question I answered the rest correctly. My Q should have been >= 50.

In CAT 3: I scored a 44 with only 3 Qs incorrect (Q8, 13, 32).

Real GMAT: 720(q50; v38) awa:4.5

I will list my practise tests' results in chronological order starting with the first I took:

Kaplan Diagnostic: 570 (q33; v36)

GMATPrep1: 590 (q44; v27)

Kaplan CAT1: 560 (q38; v28)

Kaplan CAT2: 530 (q31; v25)

Kaplan CAT3: 580 (q37; v32)

Princeton R CAT1: 610 (q45; v30)

Princeton R online: 570 (q37; v31)

Kaplan CAT4: 550 (q34; v29)

Princeton R CAT2: 680 (q49; v35)

GMATPrep2: 660 (q48; v34) I didn't reach the last q. in the Verb

I took the last practise test on the day before the actual exam.

The Kaplan and Princeton Review CAT tests are from the 2005 edition.

Good luck for future test-takers.

i just took the GMAT a second time.

first time 10/2006:

660 86% (Q44 73%,V38 85%)

second time 1/2007

670 88% (Q41 64%, V41 93%)

i consistently average around 45 on the quant section of the princeton and gmatprep tests so i dont know why i got killed the 2nd time. i actually thought i was going to get a 50 on quant because i felt i was getting many hard questions. i even had a quadrilateral question for the first time ever. i sure was shocked to see that i actually stunk up my quant portion. i also was penalized 1 minute because i used up all 60 seconds in the instructions screen in the beginning of the quant section. i was under the impression that the 1 minute did not count towards exam time. it didnt appear to take time off my verbal section so i dunno if it was a program error or what.

time to contemplate making another $250 donation to pearson vue.

Guys,

I need your input for improving my score.

I took my GMAT Prep 1 yesterday and scored 680 (q49, v33), this was after 1.5 months of prep and before touching OG.

I found the quantitative section tough but finally the verbal dragged the overall score.

Its been said that GMAT Prep before OG is an actual indicator of your score.

Appreciate your help,

Hi,

a friend of mine has given me 5 sectional tests each for verbal and quant from 800score.com (gmat1v-5v and gmat1m-5m).

1. Does 800Score.com provides full tests other than these?

2. How to rate my performance based on my sectional scores? Have taken 3 verbal tests and these are the score

gmat1v: 39 (Out of 41, 29 correct) Percentile: 81%

gmat2v: 37 (Out of 41, 29 correct) Percentile: 76%

gmat3v: 37 (Out of 41, 29 correct) Percentile: 76%

D-day - 5 weeks

GmatPrep 1: 640

D-day - 4 weeks

PR Online Cat 1: 640

800Score 1 (Quant): 44

D-Day - 3 Weeks

PR Online Cat 2: 680

800Score 2 (Quant): 45

800Score 3 (Quant): 44

D-Day - 2 Weeks

PR Online Cat 3: 680

800Score (Quant): 44

800Score 4 (Quant): 45

800Score 5 (Quant): 46

D-Day - 1 Week

PR Online Cat 1: 640

800Score 1 (Quant): 47 (second round)

Kaplan CD CAT 1: 540

Kaplan CD CAT 2: 580

Kaplan CD CAT 3: 540 (I 'let go' of kaplan after this!)

D-Day - 3 days

PR Online Cat 1 (repeat): 720

D-Day - 2 days

GmatPrep 2: 710

D-Day - 1 day

reviewed/read through stuff I had gotten wrong on PR and GMATPrep tests

D-Day - GMAT: 750 (Q 47/V 47)

• 2 weeks later...

Kaplan CATs averaging 590

GMATPrep 1 540

Most people here say Kaplan is harder, so how come I scored less on the GMATPrep? Should the 540 be a true represantation of my actual score?

I am taking the test in two days. Any immediate thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. My goal score is 600+

My tests in chronological order:

- Powerprep(1): 400

- Powerprep(2):430

Real GMAt (1st attempt)430(25-12-2006)

- Princetone(online version):490

- GMAT prep(test1):460

- GMAT prep(test2):480

- Crack GMAt:415(they said 2 make it equivilant to the real GMAT u should add 100 points)

- GMAT prep(test1)(after reinstalling):530

- GMAT prep(test 2):520

- Powerprep(test2):610

Powerprep (test 1):500

- Real GMAT(2nd attempt):580(25-1-2007)

i guess i got an average for all my trials after the 1st real attempt.

Good work winnie the pooh...finally someone who has a more "realistic" score. I thought only people who score 700+ post on this board. i know a lot of business students who say 580 is a very good score as well.

after your experience, do you think the GMATPrep was a realistic test compared to the real GMAT? I am scoring 540-550 on the GMATPrep right now but would need to get a 600+ on the real GMAT and I am taking it in two days. could a miracle happen for me? :hmm:

Dear NoGMATno cry,

yes u can make it,GmatPrep is such a tool that can help u enhance ur score,uninstall then reinstall it several times and do it,and for overcoming the repeated questions problem(this will appear after the 3rd re-installation,try 2 answer them wrongly even if u know the right answer from ur previous answers review),and believe me with GMATprep,and the OG11th addition(especially SC(try 2 do this section after reviewing Manhatten SC,it's an amazing guide&CR) u'll be able to tackle most of the verbal question in ur real GMAT exam).

try 2 take it as many times as u can,categorization is the most important thing try 2 categorize which kind of questions have u answered correctly(PS,DS,SC,RC,CR) count the correct and the incorrect ones).u'll see how ur performance level will be changed in each category.

A final say on this,"don't wait for a miracle 2 be happened,make ur own one".:tup:

Good luck.

38 Quant?!... Booo! :hmm:

2 weeks of studying after work and on weekends.

Kaplan CAT1 - 560 (2 weeks before test)

Kaplan CAT2 - 600 (1.5 weeks before test) - Stopped doing Kap after reading how innacurate they are on these forums

GP CAT1 - 720 (a week before test)

PR free online CAT - 730 (V44 Q47) (4 days before test)

GP CAT2 - 720(1 day before test)

Never in any of my (non Kaplan) practice tests did I do so badly in quant. I guess it's back to the books again in preparation for a retest.

Ladies and gents, it just goes to showing that luck does play a role. Sometimes you just catch a bad day.

But wow, what security they have in there. I don't know if it's the same in all PV testing centers, but at my location they have more security than nuclear missile silos.

...So much for the "evil twin" excuse for my bad score.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chameleon-

Why are you whining about your score? Sure, take it again if you want, but I don't know of too many schools that'll turn you down for a 700. Unless your GPA or work experience are crap, you've done well enough. Have a beer and relax. (Not trying to be a smartass, but really!)

True True Jomely...

You do have a point. There's not too many places that will turn me down with a 700. The thing is, I'm trying to get a big scholarship (preferably full, but am told that's unlikely), so I need every point I can get.

At the top schools I'm going for (London Business School and Kellogg) I'm right around their average scores for last year and being "average" is probably not going to get me much in the way of scholarships.

I wouldn't kill myself over it (I only studied part time for 2 weeks to get the 700), but if my practice scores indicate that I should be doing at least 20-30 points better, why not take em right?

"If you want something, don't let anything stop you"

• 2 weeks later...
In order..

Paper Tests:

570, 420, 650, 640 ,670, 630

CAT + online simulators:

GMAT Prep: 470, 630

Kaplan: 670

Princeton: 520

GMAT just this morning: 660 (Q48, V32)

Thanks to the people sharing their GMAT knowledge.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ShakeVT,

thanks.

i got higher scores in gmat prep that i did not list down because those are repeats and many questions were the same. I believe they won't be a good measure of your real score. my scores above are my first two scores.

i took kaplan once, which i think had an easier verbal compared to princeton. princeton was tough for me.

all in all, the gmat prep is the closest one to the exam although the real exam questions are much much more difficult. i'm just happy my performance peaked in the real test.

by the way, this site has helped me a lot and I'll be glad to share some knowledge/tips especially to those GMAT-takers like me. I'm a working student with a family. my preparation was very short (no choice) and i did not spend on for any review material,session,etc.. ( no money :-) ).

regards