Urch Forums

Some math problems - help plz

chipotle0

How do you work the following questions out? (I've made these questions up as an example)

1) A top turns 50 rounds in 4 minutes. At that constant rate, how many turns will 4 such tops turn in 2 1/2 hours?

2) If the probability that Rockstar will win a game is 3/7 (probability of winning over probability of not winning), what are the odds that Rockstar will win the game?

3) If a question is asking the area of a triangle whose height is not 90º (it is skewed), would the area of the triangle be different even if the height and base equal the same number?

Thanks!

1) A top turns 50 rounds in 4 minutes. At that constant rate, how many turns will 4 such tops turn in 2 1/2 hours?

2.5 hrs=2*60+0.5*60=120+30=120+28+2=4*37+2

So, they will complete =4*(37*50)=4*185=740 turns

please, check and assure me.

2) If the probability that Rockstar will win a game is 3/7 (probability of winning over probability of not winning), what are the odds that Rockstar will win the game?[/uote]

I've not understood the problem. Need help.

3) If a question is asking the area of a triangle whose height is not 90º (it is skewed), would the area of the triangle be different even if the height and base equal the same number?

Area will be same. No doubt.

How do you work the following questions out? (I've made these questions up as an example)

2) If the probability that Rockstar will win a game is 3/7 (probability of winning over probability of not winning), what are the odds that Rockstar will win the game?

Thanks!

1> 50 rounds/4 minutes is the rate for 1 top

So for 4 tops would run 200 rounds in 4 minutes, if they are running simultaneously.

So in 2.5 hours = 150 minutes, they would run 7500 rounds[ 200/4 * 150]

2> Sorry, no clue.I do not understand your question.

3> Once again, I don't understand your question at all, how is it possible that height is not perpendicular to the base or not 90 degree, as you put it ? Please explain the problem.

1) Thanks

2) I didn't get it either. This is similar to a GRE problem I encountered but I didn't understand how to solve it.

3) The problem showed a triangle with base on the x plane with base 5 and height 5 - again the height of the triangle was oblique and not perpendicular to the base. They asked for the area in column A and put a number in column B. I put 1/2(5*5) = 25/2 as the area for column A (which was the same number in column B) but it does not equal.

Chipotle:

It does not matter if the height is oblique. Imagine, for a second, two triangles plotted on the X,Y axis. Both triangles have XY coordinates for the base at (0,0) and (3,0). The height of one triangle, however, is (2,2) and the height of the other is (4, 2). The areas are the same.

The only thing that matters is the base length, and the height. The formula is 1/2(BH), not 1/2(BH) of a right triangle.

Peace bro,

GRE_Kickboxer.

• 2 months later...
  • 14 years later...

Hello, sorry if fhis is not the correct place to ask this but I'm just new to this forum and still getting used to it. I joined this forum because I wanted to learn, in my opinion Im a smart person, I used to have high classifications on school without studying that much but now I'm on the highschool and things are really hard cause I'm on the hardest course on highschool (on my country). My problem is that with this ammount of tests I dont have enough time to study as much as I would like for Phisics/Chemistry(one single subject in my course) and Math. But the fact is that I understand everything on Math, teacher is trying to teach us and I always predict what will happen correctly, my teacher is actually really cool, I speak with her about math problems programming and stuff sometimes, and that is where I am good, computers, technology, programming, image/video editing, the part I most like is programming due to the creativity but ots also the hardest and it requires time, I learned java, I began to learn lua and I want to learn c++ after but I dont have time. I also am really lazy about studying so I thought a great way for me to practice and not getting bored was doing so through exercises on the internet or program or any virtual platform where I could learn and practice exercises for Math, Chemistry and Phisics, but I would also like to review everything about this subjecta cause when I was on 5th/6th grade I was lazy and careless about school (young age mistakes that I regret) I would like a really nice course for any or all of these subjects. And I would ask for sugestions for studying because I get out of school at 5pm, I get home by 6pm and I always end up going to bed at 1am just to wake up at 7am tired, go to school, cant focus on some subjects and the cycle repeats over and over again. The problem is that I also enjoy to have some time for myself and I always end up unable to study enough, plus I am a really slow writer so its hard for me to finish the tests. Would like to hear your opinions, Thank you.