Urch Forums

convert German grading system to American system?

aliaatreides

Hi, guys!

Can't find a reliable convertor online...How would you translate a 1.86 grade from Germany into the American grading system?

It's a five point grading scale, grades from 1 to 5 with an 0.3 increment, where:

1 – 1.50 = very good, 1.51 – 2.50 = good, 2.51 - 3.50 = satisfactory, 3.51 – 4.00 = sufficient, below 4.00 = fail.

Check Explanation of the German examination types and grading system for more details...

I know in the states 4 is the highest one, which it the lowest one with which you still pass?!

Looking foward to your input!

Cheers,

Cristina

• 9 months later...

Unfortunately, the results of converting are usually horrible for us Germans. If you can, get a percentile of your grade. (I guess thats your Abi-Durchschnitt). It would be very useful to say something like "I had the best average out of 100 graduates at my school".

Anyways, most us-universities will do their own converting.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I myself found these sources quite useful. For you 1.86 will be B or B+ and equals to 3.0 or 3.3 in US grading system.

1- ECTS grading scale (ECTS grading scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

2- World Education Service (WES Grade Conversion Guide)

3- US Grading Scale, Iowa State University (Page 56 - http://proposals.nafsa.org/Abstract_Uploads/2382.61212.GS073.pdf)

4- Academic Grading in Iran (Academic grading in Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

5- Academic Grading in Germany (Academic grading in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Best Regards,

Hi, guys!

Can't find a reliable convertor online...How would you translate a 1.86 grade from Germany into the American grading system?

It's a five point grading scale, grades from 1 to 5 with an 0.3 increment, where:

1 – 1.50 = very good, 1.51 – 2.50 = good, 2.51 - 3.50 = satisfactory, 3.51 – 4.00 = sufficient, below 4.00 = fail.

Check Explanation of the German examination types and grading system for more details...

I know in the states 4 is the highest one, which it the lowest one with which you still pass?!

Looking foward to your input!

Cheers,

Cristina