(E) article: journal

FRANK: SECRETIVENESS

(A) honest: theft *

(B) transparent: obscurity

© free: autocracy

(D) callow: maturity

(E) confident: intrepidness

well,

(1) is obviously (b): "endow" means to furnish with "income" ie. to give income. "endorse" means to give/provide "approval".

(2) is not very clear to me...i can't seem to get anything concrete b/w "mystery" and "fiction" cos neither is necessarily the other, nothin similar to the relation b/wmagazine and periodical. Stumped!

(3) seems to me to have a lotta answers....I jus dont knw![V]

Its here where the problem arises. For (3) more than one choice seem reasonable. I'm always frustrated by the need to exactly define the bridge between the words. Finding a general bridge is often not enough to make the right choice. For (2), I think it must be a tyro (B the last one I will think of).

Originally posted by dave

FRANK : SECRETIVENESS

(A) honest : theft *

(B) transparent : obscurity

© free : autocracy

(D) callow : maturity

(E) confident : intrepidness

Answer here should be D. This is a simple By definition X lacks Y bridge.

A could be the answer if it were something like honest : deceitfulness. I don't think A works because the bridge for A would be something like this: Y is one of the many actions precluded by the characteristic of X. The problem is that there are many actions precluded by honesty, not just theft; in other words, there is no clear and necessary relationship between honesty and theft.

Originally posted by rk

(2) is not very clear to me...i can't seem to get anything concrete b/w "mystery" and "fiction" cos neither is necessarily the other, nothin similar to the relation b/wmagazine and periodical. Stumped!

By definition, periodical (n) is a publication issued at regular intervals of more than one day. So magazine is a type of periodical. And Mystery, like Romance, Thriller, Sci etc. is a type of fiction.

And a textbook is a type of publication I suppose.

That's right. However, the relationship here is X is a type of Y.

(D) publication: textbook -> this is an inverse: Y is a type of X

(D) will be correct too if it is textbook: publication

quote: by erin originally

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRANK : SECRETIVENESS

(A) honest : theft *

(B) transparent : obscurity

© free : autocracy

(D) callow : maturity

(E) confident : intrepidness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer here should be D. This is a simple By definition X lacks Y bridge.

A could be the answer if it were something like honest : deceitfulness. I don't think A works because the bridge for A would be something like this: Y is one of the many actions precluded by the characteristic of X. The problem is that there are many actions precluded by honesty, not just theft; in other words, there is no clear and necessary relationship between honesty and theft.

i understand your reasoning. but then doesnt transparent mean lacks obscurity. so how do you decide between these 2.

• 7 years later...

income is one of the many things that someone can be endowed with. (endow=Give qualities or abilities to; Furnish with an endowment); (endowment=A natural*ability or quality, The act of endowing with a permanent source of income) from wordweb.

Shouldn't the answer be emit:signals since signal is one the many things that can be emitted?

Here is my view:

1) Endow is to provide the income, in the same way as endorsement is providing the approval.

2) Magazine is a kind of periodical which appears at regular intervals, in the same way as mystery is a kind of detective fiction.

3) It seems more than 1 option...STUMPED :(

Here is my answer to all those questions if they somehow appear in actual GRE. The correct answers are:

1) What ETS thinks is true (even if it is non-sense)

2) What ETS thinks is true (even if it is non-sense)

3) What ETS thinks is true (even if it is non-sense)

There are two clear explanations in the thread as to why the answer is D.

Yeah, I understand that D is the best option but I am still confused with (B) transparent: obscurity

© free: autocracy.

Edited by roch

C) is a bit of a reversal. "A Y by definition not X". When looking up 'free' in the dictionary, you would not see it defined in terms of 'autocracy'.

Autocracy is not sufficiently general. It's a very specific instance of a lack of freedom and not a general condition that attends every instance of 'nonfreedom'.

It's a lack of freedom relative to governments. Frank, though, can apply to not only to governments, but to individuals.

Autocracy is just one among many nonfree arrangements or conditions.

B) callow : maturity is obvious and tight. Nonetheless I think you may have a point here.

I'd wager the item is meant by ETS to be construed thusly:

transparent: able to be seen through (or honest, candid)

obscurity: the condition of not being well known

When you think of it this way there is no definitional relationship between the items.

By ETS logic: this "distractor" item was placed here because they're hoping you think more about "obscure" than 'obscurity' and don't think too hard about the contexts in which you've actually heard 'obscurity' and uncritically assume it means "not able to be seen through". After all, it has many similar words (obscurantism, obfuscate, etc) that I think all have something etymologically to do with 'darkening'. And dark things are hard to see through, right?

obscurity : the quality or state of being obscure (m-w.com)

syn: nebulousness, opacity, opaqueness, etc

obscure (ibid) c : not clearly seen or easily distinguished : faint

2 : not readily understood or clearly expressed; also : mysterious

transparent b : easily detected or seen through : obvious

c : readily understood

obscurity : 3. uncertainty of meaning or expression; ambiguity. (dictionary.com)

Thus, obscurity and transparent are unambiguously antonymous. Moreover the bridge, "By definition X lacks Y" holds: Something transparent (easily understood) lacks obscurity (the condition of not being easily understood).

Substituting a synonym of obscurity, we have:

frank : secretiveness :: transparent : opaqueness.

QED. Clearly, this is a valid analogy.

Thoughts, anyone?

for the second part: i affirm that newspaper:edition is right..

Magazines are issued out periodically and different issues of newspaper is characterised by edition.

Any concurrent or discursive perception abt this wud b most welcomed.. Thanks