Urch Forums

Duke MBA or HKUST MBA

kary

Hi,

I am an international candidate based in HK. I got an admit from Duke MBA.

Moreover, I have also got an admit from HKUST MBA , which is Asia's no.1 MBA program.Given the current recession state in the US, i am very confused about the US economy.

However i would be happy to hear the big strengths of duke mba program if i want to work in asia in future.....

appreciate inputs ( my parameters are placements, marketing focus, salary, global mobility ) The strengths of HKUST is renowned in asia, world class faculty but asian salaries.....

Appreciate inputs....Thanks, Regards, Karishma

• 4 years later...
I got an admit from Duke MBA.

Moreover, I have also got an admit from HKUST MBA , which is Asia's no.1 MBA program.Given the current recession state in the US, i am very confused about the US economy.

However i would be happy to hear the big strengths of duke mba program if i want to work in asia in future.....

appreciate inputs ( my parameters are placements, marketing focus, salary, global mobility ) The strengths of HKUST is renowned in asia, world class faculty but asian salaries.....

Duke is very well regarded school, and HK-UST is a well ranked school. There's a big difference. With HK-UST, you'll be joining a school which is known in the HK business community, but not much beyond that. With Duke, the school is known around the world. HK-UST has really focussed on climbing the rankings but theres not much substance behind the rankings. Also note HK-UST is falling, and will fall further, in the rankings as the Financial Times recently changed the way they evaluate the international element of MBA programs.

HK-UST is strong in finance and to a lesser extent marketing, but weak in the others areas (esp consulting - last year, just one student out of 240 went to a top consulting firm). Very low student satisfaction with campus accommodation, careers, alumni interaction and student admin services.Recruiting support at HK-UST is very very weak (they have lost 3 heads of careers services in 3 years). MBA job outcomes are not strong either - but the statistics look good because many mainland Chinese students enter the program with mainland Chinese salaries (extremely low by western standard) and get offers in HK which are low by normal standards but high on a percentage increase basis.

I think your choice is clear, but if you wanted to work in HK (and don't care to much about salary) HK-UST would be fine.

• 1 year later...

For me it is an opportunity to study in Duke and also it is a good choice if i will give a chance to choose on those two.In Finland i am studying in a school of economics in

Moderator edit: The link in your thread was removed. Please understand that we work very quickly to evaluate the content that our members post and need to make quick decisions based on limited information. As a rule, we generally delete almost all links posted by relatively new members (for example, those with fewer than 50 posts or who have been members for shorter than a month or so), unless those links point to generally recognized authorities or websites, such as Harvard University, the official GMAT website, etc. To learn more, please read the forum rules that you agreed to when you joined our forum. (And yes, we realize that most people don't read them. But they're important nonetheless.)

Erin

where i am having fun on it however studying in school of economics is really a difficult things and i really need to study hard to achieve my goal.

Edited by Erin
Hormel product removed