Urch Forums

Effective time management

" Some people believe that the best approach to effective time management is to make a detailed daily and long-term plans and then to adhere to them. However, this highly structured approach to work is counter-productive. Time management needs to be flexible so that employees can respond to unexpected problems as they arise.

Some people believe that the best approach to effective time management is to make a detailed daily and long-term plans and then to adhere to them. However, this highly structured approach to work is counter-productive. Time management needs to be flexible so that employees can respond to unexpected problems as they arise."

I've added my response below. Could someone critique it and give me an idea of what I should expect as a score?

Thanks in advance. ;)

My response:

Effective time management requires long-term planning and detailed daily scheduling. Although it is necessary at times to deviate from the structured plan to compromise unforeseen problems that may be encountered on a day to day schedule it is essential to follow the structured lay-out to ensure effective time management.

Gantt charts are a tool used for effective time management of specific projects that require several players to work together. The Gantt chart details daily and long-term plans that can be referred to and maintains a level of forward progression. In my experience, this tool has been an effective means of goal setting and matching to ensure completion of projects within a reasonable time. For example, in a production facility, a Gantt chart may be used to schedule a down day for a specific machine to perform required preventative maintenance. Several key players may be involved in the down day may consisting of employees representing work required to be completed from the electrical, mechanical, instrumentation, and production departments. These representatives come together to establish a plan prior to the down day to effectively manage the down day and ensure that the maximum amount of work done on the machine can be done during the least amount of time required. This plan is set up in advance to predict potential problems that may arise on the down-day prior to encountering them on that particular day.

Certainly, on the specific down day there may arise several problems that had not been considered during the scheduling of the down day. This requires employees to be flexible and steer away from the structure of the Gantt chart. Once, the problem is resolved it is essential to revert back to the planned schedule of the Gantt chart to maintain forward progression and good time management.

Some people may say that a long term or detailed plan is counter productive as it may be too rigid. Without long-term planning and having employees respond to problems only as they arise can create a chaotic work environment where different players perform tasks that may be counter productive and could have workers working against one another. It could also leave employees wandering around aimlessly not knowing what is required of them or standing around only waiting for a potential problem to arise. This kind of action will lead to even more unplanned problems and can prove to be very counter-productive.

In summary, I believe flexibility in long-term plans is necessary to allow employees to respond to unforeseen problems as they arise but a detailed daily and long-term plan should be adhered to to ensure effective time-management and optimize the level of productivity.

• 5 years later...

If everyone's workload has increased, making productivity and time management is more critical at our workplace. I use Replicon Software to monitor my employees activities in the work-floor. Well, I feel this software can literally make our business more popular with its innovative features.

When it comes to the benefits of this software, it's not just a few to list it out. This is undoubtedly a super cool time recording software that any business would actually need. Visit ( Replicon.com ) website to gather more information of this wonderful application.