Urch Forums

GRAMMAR: Is "none" singular or plural?

harbinger

Dear Erin and others,

I always feel confused with "none of the...".

According to "TOEFL CLIFFs" book, "none" can take either a singular or plural verb depending on the noun which follows it.

For instance:

"None of the couterfeit money has been found."

and

"None of the students have finished the exam yet"

But, According to the "TOEFL CBT EXAM KAPLAN", "none" always takes a singular verb, whether followed by a plural or a noncount noun.

The following are the given examples:

"None of the dogs belongs to me."

and

"None of the tea in this store is fresh"

Why is there such a contradiction? which one do I have to follow in Toefl exams???

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks a milion

Hi!

I'm not sure which usage of "none of the" is correct. Anyway, from my understanding "none of the" can be followed by singular or plural verb depending on noun behind "none of the".

Moreover, "none of the" always is followed by Plural Countable noun or Uncoutable noun. :blackeye: It's better to say by formulas.

None of the - Plu. CN - Plu. Verb

None of the - UN - Sing. Verb

For example:

None of the dogs like cats.

None of force is enough to pull that truck.

:) By th way, I'm waitting ERIN to confirm about this issue.

none can be singular or plural, depending on the context, as has been stated above.

Traditionally, none has been consider singular because it means not one, and the word one is singular. However, in usage, we tend to treat it as singular or plural, depending on the noun it's referring to.

Kaplan is wrong. (Throw that book away now. Do a search for Kaplan to see other problems with this book.) Cliff's is right.

Furthermore, you will NOT have to make this choice on the real TOEFL. TOEFL avoids grammar questions that native speakers disagree about. In other words, almost all TOEFL grammar is based on rules that are accepted by almost all native speakers, writers, editors, and English teachers.

I did see on a GMAT at some point where a credited response was something like None of them are.

Edited by Erin
19 years later, and I wanted to add something.

Furthermore, you will NOT have to make this choice on the real TOEFL. TOEFL avoids grammar questions that native speakers disagree about. In other words, almost all TOEFL grammar is based on rules that are accepted by almost all native speakers and English teachers.

Hi Erin,

I still have some doubts.

Do you mean that these types of questions should not be appeared on the real TOEFL ?

Could you please show me some example of questions which TOEFL wll avoid?

Thank You.

chaiyachoti

Well, one grammar point that is NOT on the TOEFL is the difference between who and whom.

The list of grammar points that would NOT appear on the TOEFL would be endless; but if you find a question (in a non-official TOEFL book) that you think is not like a real TOEFL question, please post it here, and I can tell you!