Urch Forums

Please comment on my essay, thanks a lot!

rafalitvin

Question: Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible.

Other young adults prefer to live with their families for a longer time. Which

of these situations do you think is better? Use specific reasons and examples

to support your opinion. Be sure to use your own words. Do not use

memorized examples.

I believe it is better for young adults to live with their parents for a longer time, instead of rushing out as soon possible. First, because I think moving out is not a decision that should be made on a whim, it should happen when you are ready, as long as that is agreed with your family. And second, as I feel that young adults often underestimate the importance of those last years living with their family and I believe they should be appreciated.

It is common to see young adults who can’t wait to get out of their parents houses. They’re looking for freedom and independence, but a lot of the time they don’t have the faintest idea of how to survive by themselves. As long as the family has the means and the will to have the young adult living in for a longer period of time, I believe they should only leave “the nest” when they are ready, both financially and psychologically. It can be hard to deal with the pressures of living by oneself, jobs are only getting harder to find, pay is getting lower, and being on your own can take its toll on someone who’s just starting out your professional and adult life. It’s better to pace oneself than to end up needing the safety and stability of your parent’s home and being too ashamed to go back.

Another important point to make is that those first few years of adulthood are very likely going to be the last you spend so close to your family. As siblings grow up and start moving out and maybe getting their own families, the tendency is to see less and less of each other. Parents will start getting older and after you move out you won’t be able to enjoy their company as much. As exciting as it seems to be by yourself, the company of family, that feel of home, is something most will miss a lot further down the road, which is why I think it should be enjoyed while it’s possible.

Of course, I’m not in favor of staying home and living with your parents forever. I believe the time comes when that is clearly the healthiest option. However, I think the points made above are good reasons for taking some time, pondering things well, and enjoying being with your family before you go out to face life’s adventures on your own.

408 words

22 minutes

I would really appreciate comments/rating as I have no ideia where I stand in terms of Writing scores. Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...