Urch Forums

Expecting 1400 got 1220 :(

shwetamalik

This was my second attempt on GRE. Had prepared fully,left no stone unturned...Gave the GRe on 20th oct and got 1220 Q-740 V-480... What to do now?? I have completed my engineering in electronics and communication.wish to apply for UCSD,and thought would get a good score to apply to it.Never got so low even on my practice tests.was always above 1350.So kind of disheartened with my score.

Can i get a good university with such a score.I plan to apply for MS electrical with specialization in embedded systems.VLSI

1220 is a decent score so i guess you will get a decent university because gre score is not the only deciding factor.if you have a good CGPA and a well written SOP then you will definitely get a good university so no need to worry about it.you had written that you never got below 1300 in practice tests.can you tell what went wrong because i am also giving gre next month and any tips would be welcome.this is my first attempt and i am extremely nervous:(

hi rids,

my score let me down in a way that i had done anything and everything it takes to prepare for the gre.There was hardly any material which i had not done..I guess the GRE is a really uncertain exam.please note my point MOCK tests are extremely deceptive,hard to depend on them.there are people who have scored more than what they consistently scored on there mocks and vis-versa too.In my case,i messed up a bit in the maths section where i was stuck on a ques and lost some time on the last ones..As og now i have reconciled with my score,so will create my application to create a mark..:):)

THE BEST TIP IS MENTAL CONDITION IS VEry IMPORtant while giving the exam.STAY CALM AND COOL...being nervous is a mistake i made on my first attempt on GRE...so please keep calm....exam condition is very diff....keep revising your wordlist..give lots of practice tests..other than dat if u have time den do bigbook(u get ques from there on the actual gre).

ALL THE BEST TO YOU..:)

hi shweta

thanks for the information.it will really help me.although i have only 20 days left,from where should i practice quants?currently i am doing it from barrons and kaplan.i will try to complete nova also if time permits.ALL THE BEST for ur application process.you will surely get a good university with this score.

Same with me. I was getting over 1300 on the prep tests, but the real test, I got 450 on verbal and 780 on quantitative.

I was so shocked. I wanted to have at least 500 on verbal. I am majoring communication and I want to go to UCSB, but now I do not think

I will get in. I am not a native speaker, and it was so hard for me to score around 600 on verbal. I will try one more time before the new test comes out.

himani-another friend of mine had a same story.scored 1430 on the last powerprep he gave and ended up scoring 1230 on the actual gre.Your score is good enough.Please go ahead and apply to all your places of interest.Gre scores are one criteria of the application,dere are other aspects to it also.You might have an overall impactful application which will get you through UCSB..Even a score of 1500 doesnt guarentee an admit.

So go ahead and apply..:) all the best to you..

• 1 year later...

i think gre is a test of your temperament and not the amount u know.... 

scores u get at home... dont come in the actual paper... that happened to me also, i got 39 correct of 40 questions in ets pp2.... but only 160 in actual test. u tend to be more cautious, the calculation u used to do in your head .... u start doing them via calculater...just to make sure that nothing goes wrong... and thats when the difference comes.