Urch Forums

Applying To Ucla, Uci, And Ucsd But What Are My Chances?

cmedina

I'm a transfer student from Pasadena City College and I'm trying desperately to get into UCLA's impacted undergrad econ program. The problem is I'm done with everything except Calculus 1 and 2, which are required for the core requirements. However I will be finished by spring 2006 so that I can transfer by fall 2007. The biggest problem is that I'm averaging a B in my Calculus 1 class and my GPA is only about a 3.73 right now. I work full time and practice martial arts. That's really all I have time for.

My question is : What are my chances of getting into to my first choice, UCLA??? :hmm:

Help please!!!

I'm a transfer student from Pasadena City College and I'm trying desperately to get into UCLA's impacted undergrad econ program. The problem is I'm done with everything except Calculus 1 and 2, which are required for the core requirements. However I will be finished by spring 2006 so that I can transfer by fall 2007. The biggest problem is that I'm averaging a B in my Calculus 1 class and my GPA is only about a 3.73 right now. I work full time and practice martial arts. That's really all I have time for.

My question is : What are my chances of getting into to my first choice, UCLA?? :hmm:

Help please!!

Great GPA for someone who is working full time and learning martial arts. It is very difficult to maintain good GPA in college. Now I think your essay will be a factor, show how martial arts helps your life and how working help you understand the real world, compare to how you lived your life in high school. Or how martial arts and working changed your life, the school don't want a mindless bookworm, but want someone who can take on a challange and over come them. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

i happened to just run into this thread but i will comment.

i transferred to UCB from a CC. when i was there and from what my friends told me, they all made it to UCSD/UCB but not UCLA. UCLA is very picky at least with the statistics i've informally gathered.

the other UC's are ok with transfer students.

• 3 months later...

First, I thank all for your engouragement and advice! Next, I'd like to say that as of today I got into UC Irvine. I guess they have a new Business Econ program and even without the accounting classes I made it in. Well, the decision is provisional BUT I should be fine. I'm still crossing my fingers for UCLA, but I took some classes about 8 years ago that has dramatically affected my GPA. Well, this is true for the mean time because I'm redoing the classes and will be requesting academic renewal, so my GPA should go back up. At the time of the application update I think I was somewhere in the 3.5 or 3.6 area. However, all of my core classes are at a 4.0. That's right!! I got an A in Calculus 1. :-) Calculus 2 is proving to be a little bit more difficult but I believe I'll be okay!!!

So, still waiting on the LA and UCSD admissions decision.

Crossing my fing's for LA and my toes for SD!

Keep in mind, you most likely want to attend a school with an already well established School of Business. UCLA and UC Irvine already have these, UCSD doesn't or is in the process of getting one. It usually takes years to gain accreditation anyway. Alot of economists end up getting MBAs, and there are more chances schools such as UCLA and UC Irvine already have transferable programs or acceleration programs.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I must agree with everything that people have said so far. UCLA is super picky with any of their applicants but I feel as if they even place stricter standards on transfer students. Just make sure you consider other schools as well because if you dont get admitted, it wont be the end of the world. The UC system offers a LOT of good UCs so take a good look at em, too if you get admitted. For instance, Berkeley is an amazing school, awesome campus, and filled with great people!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Alright so I'm still waiting for my knight-in-shining Bruin to wisk me away with his acceptance, but I did hear back from UCSD and at worst I will be attending SD. I'm very glad that they accepted me because it is still ranked among the best schools in the nation and, specifically, their econ program is among the top ranked. I'm thrilled to have my second choice, however, I still would love the chance to attend UCLA.... We'll see..... GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Well it looks like I'll be attending UCLA in the fall 2007. I'm very excited about the acceptance I received today and I wasn't even among the best that applied. I believe it might've been my work experience and extracurricular activities that did it for me. Who knows? Which ever place whether UCSD or UCLA or UCI for that matter, my education is what I make of it and so what I've learned in these months of waiting is that life isn't over if you don't get the school you want but it's nice to get the opportunity to go to one of the best. I'll succeed whereever I go and that is because it isn't the school necessarily it is the student. GOOD LUCK to all who are still waiting!! :tup:

• 2 weeks later...
congrats for getting into UCLA! I have a 3.87 gpa at City College of San Francisco, but I didn't get into UCLA for business econ; instead, I got accpeted to UC Berkeley's econ and will be attending there in the fall.