Urch Forums

F1 denied..consul arrogant...

tashkenty

Hello, TMians. Allow me to share with you my horrible and traumatic experience with a US consul officer last July 5th, the day I got interviewed for my US student visa.

My interview was slated at 7:20 am. I was there right on time, but it was raining so hard. I have to fall in line together with the other applicants hoping to get a US nonimmigrant visa. We were like wet ducklings soaked in the rain.:mad: I waited for 6 HOURS before I got face to face with the arrogant US consular officer. Take note: 6 LONG, HORRENDOUS, PAINSTAKING AND BACKBREAKING HOURS, WITHOUT FOOD NOR WATER.:mad: The US Embassy here in the Philippines does not allow food or drinks inside their office. And take note: there are LIMITED SEATS available. And everyone has to pay USD100 for the application, with no amenities provided.:mad: There are about 100 applicants in the office every hour, and there are only about 60 alloted seats. The poor 40 applicants have to wait for their turn, without food or water.

After the confusing pre-screening and waiting for my number to be called, I was finally interviewed by 1:30 PM, without even taking my lunch. To my dismay, the consular officer (a FAT and ARROGANT female) gave me condescending questions, which eventually led to the denial of my US student visa. I have strictly followed the documents that need to be presented, such as 1) passport, 2) I-20, 3) proof of financial support for one year, 4) SEVIS fee payment receipt. For the proof of financial support, I have presented the affidavit of support of my aunt and her bank statement. Despite the documents that I have presented, I was still denied of a US student visa. I feel extremely disappointed.

I really got depressed at the moment the RUDE consular officer denied my US visa that I left the embassy immediately. I did not even bother ask the officer about her reason for my denial, nor did I request her to put her reason for denial in writing. I was so insulted when the consular officer said her last line: "If you are to reapply again, you are most likely to be denied.":mad:

Here is the content of the white-tagged letter which the consular officer handed me after the interview:

"This office regrets to inform you that it is unable to issue you a nonimmigrant visa because you have been found ineligible under Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended."

"Under United States immigration law, consuls must presume that all nonimmigrant visa applicants are intending immigrants, and the burden to overcome this presumption is on the applicant. Based on the information presented at the time of the interview, the consul was not convinced that your social, family, economic or professional ties were compelling enough to ensure your stay in the United States would be temporary."

"You may reapply if you have additional information to present or if you have a significant change in your circumstances. Should you choose to reapply, you must bring all relevant materials with you to the interview."

I am really confused, upset and angry. I have already presented a Certification of Study Leave from my office proving that my stay in the United States would only be until the duration of my study. What additional documents do I need to present to the consular officer to strengthen my US student visa application? Shall I wait for a scholarship or an assistantship offer from the UMN School of Public Health to further prove my financial capability?

Dear TMians, I really hope you can help me on my terrible predicament. I have worked so hard to get into the MS Environmental Health program of UMN. I have also spent a lot of time, money and effort in processing my US student visa application. Denial of my US student visa should not deter me to pursue my graduate studies.

Hoping to hear comments from you guys, thanks.

Regards,

Tashkenty

This is absolutely tragic thing happened to you dear Tashkenty.After going through your experience I can feel your pain and grief.

Denial of my US student visa should not deter me to pursue my graduate studies.

I agree to this.Dear World is big and with lots of opportunities.I know it is easy for me to say not to get depressed but time will heal everything.This is an absolute nightmare for you and I pray to GOD to give you strength so that you revitalize yourself and be successful next time.

Try for Canada,Austrailia or iff possible try again here.

am really confused, upset and angry. I have already presented a Certification of Study Leave from my office proving that my stay in the United States would only be until the duration of my study. What additional documents do I need to present to the consular officer to strengthen my US student visa application? Shall I wait for a scholarship or an assistantship offer from the UMN School of Public Health to further prove my financial capability?

Scholarship plays a positive role but is not essential.The officers look for one's committment to return to home land and sufficient finances for carrying out studies.

Precisely,did the officer ask you the bank statements?In your case,I presume the reason of denial was your showing your aunt's account (relative's) for support.This is taken as unreliable because officers feel that finances won't be guaranteed if in future your relationship with your aunt deterriorates.

In that case you should have proved that excellent relationship exist between you and your relative. The order of preference for financial support are:

1. Scholarship.(Univ.)

2. Scholarship(External)

3. Savings(Parents and self)

4. Loans(Banks)

5. Sponsorship(Company)

6. Sponsorship(close relative)

7. Sponsorship (Distant relative)

So due to suspicion on the source of finances lead the officer believe that you will stay in US for a longer duration and possibly take up job to repay your loans.

I advice you defer your admission by an year or next semester , as it will be too late to apply for 2nd time VISA interview, and to strengthen your case.Study your case well and collect materials /documents that can make your case strong. Try for an external scholarship program.

For further help and assistence I will try best to help you out.Best Wishes always.

-- awhig.

• Like 1

Hello Tashkenty,

Awfully sorry to hear about visa denial. My visa interview here in Toronto was a long, tedious process too. However, I presented a LOT more information than you to convince them to grant me the student visa. You are almost treated like a criminal and you have to prove yourself innocent. I think you should take everything I list below to convince them that you are only going there to study, and not to immigrate.

The consulate office sent a letter prior to the interview which listed all of the following things to show them to make my case, and I took every single thing along and more:

1) all the application forms that were required to be filled out (including the sevis payment)

2) my current letter of employment as a summer research assistant at the University of Toronto

3) the letters of employment indicating the salary and position of my Mother and Father, since their income is significantly greater than mine

4) my own and my parents' pay slips and tax documents

5) school letter from my new university showing my research assistantship, which will cover all of my first year expenses

6) property deeds here in toronto

7) I-20

8) The family's monthly bank statements. My credit card statements to show I have always paid them on time.

9) GRE scores official letter, final transcript from my former university

Perhaps this is a personal question, and might have also struck the visa officer as odd if you didn't explain it to her, but WHY aren't your parents the financial support source instead of your aunt? Maybe she considered the relationship not as strong as a parent-son/daughter relationship? I don't know, just a thought.

I pray you receive your student visa the next time you apply. I suggest you take all of the above-mentioned things to your next visa interview to make a stronger case to the consulate officer. All the best to you (Y)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tashkenty,

I am sorry to hear about your Visa denial. However, DO NOT GIVE UP. Try and try again presenting your case in a different way. There is a book from a former US Consular officer with tips for the F-1 Visa applicant. I am applying to the University of Southern California and in their web site I found their comments and suggestions, which are very useful. Look for my post on this forum with the tips.

Good Luck, Roger

I am sorry to say that, but I think no VO deny visa for no reason. Try to analyze the situation once again and find your own explanations based on your visa exprience. Sometimes, there is an information that people don't want to disclose while filling visa application (DS forms), and that leads to visa denial. The only thing I suggest you [plural] to do when going to visa interview is to tell the whole truth about your relatives in the USA, immigrant visa petitions, your work history and many other things. Believe me, nowadays consulate's database has information on every applicant and the visa counsul knows almost eveything about the applicant he interviews. So, do not lie. Honesty is the best policy. :)