Urch Forums

Is the F1 multiple entry ...?

psylocybha

What happens when you leave the US during the course of your study, to visit home, etc? Does the F1 visa allow multiple entry and exit? Alternatively, do you have to get a new visa or can the original be extended? And does this have to be done before you arrive back in the US? What if you travel to a country other than your home country?

Thanks!

Yes, F1 is multiple entry, unless annonated in the visa (very rare, but sometimes. Usually you will see "M" which means multiple.)

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE!: You must get the back of your I-20 signed by your school before you leave. If you do not have a signed I-20 for re-entry, you will not be allow back! So that means you have to go to the international office before you leave. They usually want to see proof your will return, eg: roundtrip air tickets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Yes, F1 is multiple entry, unless annonated in the visa (very rare, but sometimes. Usually you will see "M" which means multiple.)

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE!: You must get the back of your I-20 signed by your school before you leave. If you do not have a signed I-20 for re-entry, you will not be allow back! So that means you have to go to the international office before you leave. They usually want to see proof your will return, eg: roundtrip air tickets.

Hey Tino,

Wht if school not sign your I-20 for more than 1 semester???

If school terminate our I-20 then can we apply to other school and get i20 and re-enter in US?

How much time we can stay outsite US on F1 visa?

Oh no no:).....I have valid I-20 of 3 years but due to family emergency I need to go to India but my college is not agreeing for the drop......SO want to know about the circumsances.....wht can I do if they terminate my i-20 of if I stay longer in my home country.........

Can I come to US with different i-20 because my present college is not allowing me to take drop for more than 1 semester but I want to go home to visit my family due to personal reasons.......

Is there any rule that we can stay for some particular time outside USA?

Can I take 2 semester drop ?

why were you terminated? When was the termination? Are you still in the usa after being terminated?

tino

5 months max. After 5 months you will need a new visa. But within that window you can re-enter on a new I-20.

You need to make sure they do NOT terminate you. If they refuse to let you take leave, then you need to offically quit. not just go home and say nothing. if you are terminated you will have a permanent mark on your record that may deny you a future visa and which will cause you problems everytime you enter the USA.

Tino

• 4 weeks later...
i got my 10 years b1 visa in 2006, then i came to USA to change F1 status. my question is can i go to travel canada and my home town ? do i have 'F1 multiple entry "? or can i apply re-enter permit of usa? I don't have f1 visa in my passport but my status is f1 status. Does my b1 visa had been canceled right?

To enter the USA you need a valid visa. If you enter on a B visa, you will have tourist status. So if you are currently in the US under F status, and leave, and re-enter with your B-Visa, you will no longer be a student for purpose of status.

A short answer, is NO, you should not leave the US. if you do, you should get the visa at the US embassy in your country.

Tino

To enter the USA you need a valid visa. If you enter on a B visa, you will have tourist status. So if you are currently in the US under F status, and leave, and re-enter with your B-Visa, you will no longer be a student for purpose of status.

A short answer, is NO, you should not leave the US. if you do, you should get the visa at the US embassy in your country.

Tino

you said '' If I enter on a B visa, I will have tourist status. So if I am currently in the US under F status, and leave, and re-enter with my B-Visa, I will no longer be a student for purpose of status.

'' .

So now i have F satus means B status canceled , I already stay in USA almost 4 years and i am decide to leave USA for a short time and re-enter USA again.

1)if i re-enter USA can I use my B-VISA again?

2)does my B-visa still valid?

3)can i apply B status again? will they think about my residence time of USA to decide it?

4) if I go back my hometown to apply F-visa, Do you think the embassy will give me the F-visa? will they think about my residence time of USA to decide to give or not the f-visa?

thank you for answer my question!